• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clipping mask keeps color overlay! help :(

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a Haiti logo and am trying to create a color fill inside the shape of the country with the watercolor 'splash' shown. Both the country shape and watercolor shape are vectors.

However, every time I make a clipping mask, it seems to keep the top object's color instead of bringing in the clipped color.

For example, in 2nd set of pictures if I have Haiti in a blue color before I clip, the subsequent result is the clipped splash but it retains that blue color.

Any advice on how to fix this?

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 11.26.55 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-05-02 at 11.27.29 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-05-02 at 11.28.24 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-05-02 at 11.28.56 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Your mask object is groupd. Relese the group, make it a compound path instead.

Then select all the objects and Object > Clipping mask > Make

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure there's really only one "Haiti" object before making the mask

If it still happens, select the masking path after creating the mask using the direct selection tool and then assign a fill of "None"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did the water color art come from, is this something you created or downloaded?

Since we do not have access to the file I cannot  tell you exactly what is incorrect with the file construction (compound paths, duplicate paths, blend color mode, etc). Would recommend you object >> rasterize the water color art, then apply the clipping mask, or use transparency palette if you prefer.

Feel free to use dropbox, google drive or similar and am sure someone can answer you question once we see the file if you supply correctly showing the before and after of your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was an image I originally made in PSD, then image traced to vectorize it. I will try clipping first then vectorizing and let you know how that goes. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried rasterizing then clipping, and it still does not work. I also tried assigning the fill as 'none' and it just made the whole object transparent.

I have attached the original file:

Logo 1 RGB.ai - Google Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your mask object is groupd. Relese the group, make it a compound path instead.

Then select all the objects and Object > Clipping mask > Make

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried it. Still getting the weird color overlay. Maybe I am doing a step wrong... were you able to get it to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly how are you creating the mask?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH MY GOD IT WORKED. I don't know what I did differently, but thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think it's because I was creating the mask through the transparency menu, instead of selecting all>object>mask as you had recommended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines