Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color difference between CPU/GPU previews

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a big color problem between CPU/GPU previews.
In GPU preview, the colors become dull, bland. I didn't have this issue before the latest updates when switching between the two.
I tried to reinstall an older version, but the problem persists.
I am having the problem on both indesign and illustrator.
Do you have a solution ?

Capture d’écran 2022-11-04 à 17.31.31 copie.jpg

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Nov 05, 2022 Nov 05, 2022

So, I confirm that with a downgrade on MacOS Monterey, I no longer have any color difference problems when switching between CPU / GPU.

An update for Ventura will be welcome very soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Hi Jeff,

Sorry for the trouble! This issue has been fixed in the Ventura update, v13.1. Many users have reported that this update has resolved the color difference between CPU/GPU previews on the internal MacBook display.

I suggest that you update your Ventura to the latest version and see if it resolves the issue for you as well.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Hi @Mouchet0D4C @Dmitrymoi,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing the details. We have investigated the issue, and it has been found reproducible on our end on Apple Silicon Mac running on macOS Ventura only. This is acknowledged and will be worked on by developers in future updates.

Currently, workarounds to this are to use CPU preview or run the app using rosetta or open as Intel or as @Mouchet0D4C suggested rolling back to macOS Monterey will work.

Anshul_Saini_1-1668031439359.png

Please check this UserVoice and upvote

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2022 Dec 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Anshul_Saini I confirm. Since the upgrade, no more problem with the CPU/GPU previews. My set up : Mac Studio M1 Max, Ventura 13.1, the latest version of Adobe CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2022 Dec 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, @Anshul_Saini,

I use MacBook Pro 2021, 16" with M1 Max chip, macOS Ventura 13.1.

Usually I use external monitor but there is same issue if I use inbuilt screen.

I have also the latest version of Illustrator, Photoshop and etc.

Thank you for your help

Michael Zelenka  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 27, 2022 Dec 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming, @Zeli24. Would you mind checking if resetting Ai preferences and disconnecting external monitors make any difference or not?

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, It doesnt help me. Still same issue 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Anshul_Saini Hello, is there some other solve of this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Zeli24,

I'm sorry to hear that resetting Ai preferences and disconnecting external monitors did not help. I understand how frustrating this issue can be.

I have not been able to reproduce this issue on my machine, which is also a MacBook Pro M1 Max 16". However, one thing you could try is updating your macOS to the latest version, which is currently v13.2.1. This might help resolve the issue.

If updating your macOS doesn't help, you could try uninstalling the whole Creative Cloud using the CC Cleaner Tool, which removes any leftover files and settings from previous installations. You can then reinstall Illustrator & other apps from the Creative Cloud.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue with GPU mode

MacOS 13.1 / Intel based MBP / Illustrator 2022 and latest 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @byfima,

We are sorry for the trouble. Would you mind confirming if you see the dull colors in the GPU preview on a Macbook display or external monitor(s) display?

I will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both, Macbook display and external 5K monitor.

But problem starting randomly over work time, i find some workaround:
In mac: System prefs — Displays — Color profile, change color profile to any and back to previous one

That fix the problem for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming the details, @byfima. I will share your observation & workaround with the product team. Also, I have been further checking on my personal external Monitor & Machine at home. I used a third-party application to take a screenshot of the color difference in GPU & CPU preview. The screenshot did not catch any difference. However, the difference was clearly visible to the naked eye. I have shared the same with the product team, and they are actively looking into this.

Thanks again for sharing the information.

Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem still persists in v27.2!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @byfima,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having trouble with v27.2. Would you mind confirming if you see the dull colors in the GPU preview on a Macbook display or external monitor(s) display? Also, please confirm the Mac specification, the exact version of macOS, and external monitor make & mode, if you are using any.

I will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with my 2021 16-inch MacBook Pro M1 MAX w/ 32GB running Ventura 13.0.1 (22A400).  On both the laptop and external monitors, GPU preview is dull, especially noticable when dealing with colors outside CMYK gamut. Color picker colors are correct, but when shown on the artboard, they are dull and washed out. 

JeffWine_0-1679349915427.png 

JeffWine_1-1679349994962.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Sorry for the trouble! This issue has been fixed in the Ventura update, v13.1. Many users have reported that this update has resolved the color difference between CPU/GPU previews on the internal MacBook display.

I suggest that you update your Ventura to the latest version and see if it resolves the issue for you as well.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My bad. I thought I was updated. I had my iOS set to auto update but sometimes the firewall at work prevents it. It seems to have resolved the problem.

Thanks for your prompt reply and solution!

Jeffrey M. Wine

Principal Visual Communications Strategist
AVP, National Sales Office
{Personal Details removed by MOD}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad to hear that updating your Ventura to the latest version has resolved the color difference issue between CPU/GPU previews on your MacBook Pro M1 MAX, @Jeff Wine. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions or concerns.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Venture 13.2.1  and there is a huge color difference in my illustrator GPU/CPU views.  I notised that the color picker is correct but main view is incorrect, so the color picker is probably always cpu-generated.   Here is an example..  What can I do??

GPU.pngCPU.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.. I use a HP ENVY 27s screen through USB3 on my M1 Mac Mini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator 27.3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notised now that if I arrange my 2 displays differently, by dragging the main menu to the other display, then Illustrator changes behavior .. if the menu is on the wrong screen, then nothing happens when switching on off CPU/GPU and the colors are always incorrect, but if I move the menu to the other, then it changes when switching between CPU/GPU render.  See picture

Arrange displays.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same problem. I updated everything last night (Adobe and OS) but it doesn't change anything.

The dull colors can be seen when switching from GPU to CPU on the external screen, on the main inbuilt screen it's fine.

Macbook Pro 14 M1 Max

Ventura 13.3.1 

Illustrator 27.4

External Apple LED Cinema Display 

Please advise, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2023 Jun 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same problem. 

The dull colors can be seen when switching from GPU to CPU on the external screen and the main inbuilt screen.

Macbook Pro 6 M2 Max

Ventura 13.4.1 

Illustrator 27.6.1

External Apple Studio Display 

Please advise, 

CPU.pngGPU.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @aleny51244259,

We understand how difficult it can be to work in Illustrator when colors are inconsistent. Would you mind trying the following steps and checking if it helps:

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope that advice is for testing purposes to identify the real bug, and not suggested as a permanent fix, because I do not think that is good advice. It might have been typical 10 years ago, but the user says their computer is an M2 MacBook Pro. That changes how this is done, in two ways. First, these come with an HDR-capable wide-gamut display (Liquid Retina XDR), so it is not typical to calibrate them to sRGB. Second, in a workflow where sRGB is required, the instructions given are not the typical way to do it. The Apple document says calibration “isn’t usually necessary,” and that’s because Apple displays are usually tightly calibrated at the factory. If it’s literally necessary to calibrate a Liquid Retina XDR display used for color-critical applications, Apple says that should be done with accurate calibration hardware, not by eye using the relatively imprecise Display Calibration Assistant.

The correct way to set a display to sRGB on an M1/M2 MacBook Pro is to switch the Reference Mode as shown below, or create a custom Reference Mode that uses sRGB as the color gamut. But, again, sRGB is not the native color gamut of these wide gamut displays, the native gamut is P3.

Mac-Displays-reference-mode-Internet-and-Web-sRGB.jpg

The default Reference Mode for the M1 Pro and up MacBook Pro is the first one: Apple XDR Display (P3-1600 nits). So whatever the results are of setting the display to sRGB, in the end that should not matter. What matters is that Illustrator must be able to display colors consistently, regardless of whether GPU display is enabled or disabled, when the Reference Mode is set to Apple XDR Display (P3-1600 nits), because that is how these Mac models display out of the box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anubhav Majumder

After I reset according to your suggestion, the colors of GPU and CPU are indeed closer, but the sRGB color is not quite correct. 

Screenshot 2023-06-27 at 1.55.53 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-06-27 at 1.56.14 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines