Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color doesn't match between CMYK/RGB mode document

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2024 Jun 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks, first time for a while here!

I've just realized something that annois me, and it probably happens for years and years :S

I created a CMYK document and work with several colors on it, this are the blue color results:

Trellat_0-1718704581914.png

But when I switch that document to RGB mode, just to export the assets, the color changes:Trellat_1-1718704608094.png

Am I doing something wrong? What I should do to work always with same colors? Should I work with two different files, each one with a different color mode, to manage the wanted color in each moment?

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Import and export , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 18, 2024 Jun 18, 2024

You need to work with 2 different files, yes. Or just export to RGB color mode and live with whatever result color management will give oyou.

An Illustrator document can only have one color mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to work with 2 different files, yes. Or just export to RGB color mode and live with whatever result color management will give oyou.

An Illustrator document can only have one color mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2024 Jun 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

thanks for your answer. I didn't know about this behavior... :S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some colors cannot be reproduced, an ink like cyan cannot be correctly reproduced in sRGB, but may have a match in Adobe RGB.

Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 12.31.26.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ton, thanks for your response.

I knew how colors work, what I thought was that Illustrator maintained the color values despite changing color mode of the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is almost impossible to keep color values the same when converting between color modes.

Even when a color can be reproduced in RGB as well as CMYK. When converting  from CMYK, the color wil first be converted from 4 color components to a 3 color component device independent CIE color space and then to 3 color RGB components.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To add to Ton's response, the RGB color mode has a much wider gamut range than CMYK. Many colors in the RGB color space cannot be reproduced in CMYK. The two color models are based on two physically different systems. RGB adds different colors of light together (additive synthesis). Adding red, green and blue light together in full intensity creates white. Our computer monitors, TV screens and smart phones operate on that model. CMYK builds colors by taking away wavelengths of reflected light on printed surfaces (subtractive synthesis). As more inks are added the colors get darker; you'll get a "rich black" by adding percentages of all four CMYK colors together. The dynamic range of printed material is far less than color built by directly emitted light.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines