Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colour fill issues

Jul 14, 2024 Jul 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colouring outside object plus not filling shape.pngHey everyone. I've run into a wall on the learning curve. I've created this hand with a lot of trial and error. I've spent the past 6 hours trying to work out why it's not filling with colour and getting colour outside of the shape I've created. Being totally new to this I know it's something I've either done, or not doing, but no amount of googling is helping find an answer. I'm hoping one of the amazing wizards in the community can help me solve my problem or direct me to a post that offers the solution. Fingers crossed it's a simple fix. Thanks team.

TOPICS
Draw and design , How-to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have many open paths. If you fill an open path it will fill between the start and end points of the path.

Try selecting two open points at the time with the Direct Selection tool (A) and join them using Object > Path > Join

Repeat until you have a single closed path for the hand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ayden,

In addition to what Ton said, I imagine the end Anchor Points of adjacent open paths are not coinciding.

This means that you can get a lot of small straight segments between the parts you have now, and they may be visible when zooming in, or even when looking at the final size, unless you make them coincide and become a single Anchor Point.

For each pair you can select (by ClickDragging across at a slanting angle and make sure only two are selected), then Object>Path>Average (Both), then join.

There is a cunning way to draw (a draft version of) the whole hand in one go/path with curves and (especially inner) corners right from the beginning. Presumably, you have already worked with the Direct Seletion Tool (and maybe other tools) to adjust the shapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jacob Bugge  schrieb:

For each pair you can select (by ClickDragging across at a slanting angle and make sure only two are selected), then Object>Path>Average (Both), then join.

Select those points and press cmd+Alt+Shift+J (Ctrl instead of cmd on Windows)

This shortcut will automatically first average and then join. No dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Indeed, Monika. I never use Average, so obviously too hard to remember.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it may be useful to spend some time with this tutorial.

https://creativecloud.adobe.com/cc/learn/illustrator/web/use-pen-tool?locale=en

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Press ctrl + Y to see the path in outline mode 

here you can easily check if the path is open or closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines