• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Combining Illustrator Files -

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2010 Nov 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sure this is too easy - but how to combine two Illustrator files together.  I have two files of maps for Namibia, each with several layers (one of them being a linked layer to a TIF file).  How do I combine those into one file so I can turn on and off appropriate layers.  Sorry this is probably intuitively obvious, but I can not seem to find the answer.  Thanks for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2010 Nov 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layers Panel Menu > Paste Remembers Layers

Be certain that is checked.

Then Copy > Paste between files.

You might want to make things slightly easier on yourself first though by moving all the layers in file 1 to a new layer (creating sublayers), then copy > paste to file 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2011 Jan 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using CS5 now...just wondering if this is still the only way to do this?

Was thinking/hoping an option to drag (or copy) a layer (not just each object/artwork) is possible (and I just don't know about it)?

Thanks!

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ed, you can certainly drag a layer to another file, or mimic it by selecting all artwork in that layer, but I prefer copy and paste (in Front or Back) to maintain placement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2011 Jan 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Carlos ~

Thank you for you time....can't seem to do that - I can't click on a layer and copy the layer (File -> Copy is greyed out), nor can I click a layer and drag it anywhere outside of the file/document (I can drag the entire layer to rearrange - within the same document only).

CarlosCanto wrote:

Ed, you can certainly drag a layer to another file, or mimic it by selecting all artwork in that layer, but I prefer copy and paste (in Front or Back) to maintain placement.

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

click on the Radio button next to the Layer name in the Layers Palette to select all artwork in that layer, then copy and paste.

selectLayer.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not a radio-button, but the target-symbol (and -button)

While you can use it to select objects, its main use is to assign appearances. Using it for selection purposes may in some cases lead to irritations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not the target symbol, court lady. It's a pan, waiting for the meatballs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(me) facepalm ... of course you're correct, Kurt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2011 Jan 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had to Google this "meatballs" term (really out of curiosity....are they just horsing around?) and voila!, it apparently is "official"......yet another thing learned from this forum (target or empty circle turning into meatballs).....

(Adobe engineers refer to these filled circles as meatballs).
http://www.adobepress.com/articles/article.asp?p=435193&seqNum=5

Thanks! Everyone here has been extremely helpful!

Ed

Kurt Gold wrote:

That is not the target symbol, court lady. It's a pan, waiting for the meatballs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

radio button/target-symbol/meatball pan...I'm getting dizzy.

layerOverview.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nares. Some call it nares.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nares. Some call it nares.

Naris, if it's only one. I have a nose for these things.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In CS5 you could first create a symbol (it's possible to preserve layer structure) and then drag an instance of that symbol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Monika,

Thank you for your time ~

Interesting idea, I'll see if that works without losing any editability...

Maybe it's worth it to give everyone an "overall" idea. The OP's workflow is basically it - but in my case, I'm part of a team - there is a "master" template and is shared by X people. Each is assigned a "portion" of the overall project.

Ergo at the end of the "scrum" each person submits their part....now its time to consolidate for output (Catalyst -> Flash Builder, some sections will be print, etc.)....

So with all these files, while its workable to keep selecting each and every piece of artwork in a layer, then copy/paste with "remember layers", it would be really nice to simply:

• select a layer and drag it (to the "main consolidated document")
  • or, at least select a layer which then (auto-selects) all its contents - this is a sub-question to the forum - can't seem to do this either...it seems you really need to select each "part" (artwork) of the layer and copy/paste it.....

Monika Gause wrote:

In CS5 you could first create a symbol (it's possible to preserve layer structure) and then drag an instance of that symbol

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you post a screenshot of the layer palette of this document? With everything visible of course.

What exactly do you do to select objects via layer palette?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Monika,

Nothing special about the document.....just text, artwork on separate layers. But your question made me slap myself - of course, the keyboard "secret handshakes"!

I don't see it mentioned here, so hopefully this helps others, if it's common knowledge to all, still maybe helpful to the few:

Windows:

• (SHIFT) + ALT + click on layer/s (the shift is if you want to select multiple layers)
  • Still can't drag the layer (from layer palette), but;
  • you can drag the selected artwork in the document to (anywhere)

Don't have time to boot my Mac, but it should work same with the usual command/option combinations.

THANK YOU MONIKA!

Monika Gause wrote:

Could you post a screenshot of the layer palette of this document? With everything visible of course.

What exactly do you do to select objects via layer palette?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this just the other day. just selected the layers by left clicking on the meatball/radio thing and use shift click or control click, depending if you want to select a lot in a row or individual layers, and then just control C to copy and then control V to paste it into whatever file you want. making sure the paste remembers layers is checked in the layers menu, like they said above.

Doing the control c shortcut has worked for me in the past even when it's greyed out in the edit menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines