• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy & paste text in same file suddenly auto-converts to outlines! What changed?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2024 Aug 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Illustrator 28.6 on a 2021 MacBook M1 Pro running macOS 14.5.  And sometime in the last week or so, when I copy a text object and then paste it in the same file (either on the same layer or a different layer), for some reason the text is now auto-converted to outlines.  If I select some text in a text object, and then create a new text object and paste the text into that object, the text pastes as expected.

I've never seen Illustrator do this before, and except for Illustrator having updated itself 12 days ago, I can't think of any other change that should cause it to happen.  I've played around with preferences and can't find anything that changes it.  I have rebooted my computer, to no effect.  Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this, or what I can do to fix it?  I'm attaching a simple file showing what happens (I tried an Illustrator file, but it was rejected saying that the "content type (application/postscript) does not match its file extension" even though it was a .ai file; hopefully the PDF version comes through).

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2024 Aug 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is probably an app or utility interfering with your clipboard.

Can you check what else is running beside Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had Keyboard Maestro and LaunchBar running for years; neither of them has had an update in the last month.  I have various Microsoft stuff, including OneDrive, running so who knows what that's doing.  Are there any other kinds of apps that might interfere with the clipboard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are known to do it:

• Parallels Toolbox running with the Clipboard History
  • TeamVewer Clipboard > Use Shared Clipboard
  • Apple iOS device simulator from Xcode
  • Windows Multi-clipboard
  • Windows Clipboard History
  • Chrome Remote Desktop
  • Mouse Pointer Highlighter
  • AnyViewer
  • Pastebot app
  • Overzealous antivirus (Digital Guardian) as well as viruses that empty the clipboard
  • Vector Magic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that list.  I don't have any of them on my system (unless "AnyViewer" is a description not a name; I do have the eDrawings app installed). 

Do you have suggestions of ways to test if something is mucking with the cilpboard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2024 Aug 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would start with Keyboard Maestro and Launch Bar. And then the Microsoft apps. Turn them off as Startup objects and then reboot. And then try again. 

What does eDrawing do?

That list might not be complete. Applications and settings change. There are a gazillion apps that muddle around with the clipboard. For some it's one setting among many others.

Basically you have to turn off stuff and try again until it works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download the Flycut app for free from the app store. It allows you to save all copied text in the clipboard and paste them again when needed, helping you better manage your clipboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2024 Aug 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's those clipboard managers that interfere with Illustrator's clipboard unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2024 Aug 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rely on Illustrator, Photoshop, and After Effects daily with this app, and I have never encountered any issues. It has been incredibly helpful in my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2024 Aug 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same problem for me. And it definetly started from version 28.6. Also I noticed that pasted text is outlined only if it is grouped with other object. If it is pasted alone or jus selected with other object - paste works ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines