• English
      • Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Copy/paste issues Illustrator (Copy paste not working & "not a valid PDF")

Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My copy/paste function within Illustrator seems to work terrible.

If I copy something, I have a 1 out of 10 chance (if I am lucky) I can actually paste it. Doesn't matter if I press ctrl+c 100 times, doesn't matter if I go to edit > copy, it just doesn't work most of the time. The function isn't greyed out within the edit drop down, so it is possible. It just doesn't register whatever I copy. If I had something on my clipboard before the copy, it will still paste that previous clipboard item.

This is Illustrator specific, as in other programs (whether it's Adobe or differrent) it works without issues.

Now today I ran across a new copy paste issue. Whenever I try to copy some vectors from Illustrator to Photoshop, it says "This is not a valid Portable Document File (PDF) document. It cannot be opened.". Which is rather odd, as I was able to copy this vector just 5 minutes ago, with the exact same method. Nothing has changed, same files, same method.

Obviously I make a lot of use of the copy paste function and not being able to work in-between programs is a pain in the ass. I can't save every file individually and load it up in Photoshop. I want my copy/paste function to work properly.

If someone has any insight (especially with the ctrl+ c not registering), that'd be amazing!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I'm on the most recent version of CC, Win10.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, so when I copy my vector from Illustrator and go to Photoshop, I get the same "This is not a valid PDF" message when I click file > new. Now I get that Photoshop checks the clipboard for dimensions when creating a new document, but I am not even doing anything with it? What's going on here...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There might have been changes to how Windows handles clipboard contents. Or you have a clipboard enhancer running.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that possible when it only happens within Illustrator? Every other program I work with works fine, whether it's also Adobe or another program all together.

And no I don't have a clipboard enhancer, I only have the Adobe CC suite and Office. This PC is brand new.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every app put different kinds of contents into the clipboard. Can you check in Illustrator Preferences > File Handling & Clipboard if the PDF option is turned on?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, seems to be turned on. Should it be, or should I turn it off instead?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2022 Oct 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed this conversatrion seemed to sputter out in 2019; I hope you were able to resolve the issue.

I was having a copy issue with ai files when wanting to use them as smart objects in Photoshop; especially if I had just reopened the ai file in Illestrator as it showed greyed out.

I actually stumbled upon the soluition by accident:

When I clicked inside of the open ai file and it put the blue box around the image now the Edit > copy is NOT greyed out and when I Edit > Paste Special > Paste in Place in Photoshop the panel to choose smart object etc opens.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't get "This is not a valid Portable Document File (PDF) document. It cannot be opened." anymore, but the Ctrl+C / CTRL+V problem is still very much present. What I have been doing now (and works about 75% of the time), is CTRL+X, then pasting back in place with CTRL+SHIFT+V and then paste in Photoshop.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines