• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copying layers from one file to another?

Engaged ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to copy a layer and a whole bunch of sub layers from one file to another, and have it maintain the same structure when copied to the new file. I tried copying and pasting, though that didn't work. How can I do this?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Paste Remembers Layers turned on (checked) in the Layer panel flyout (upper right of panel)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried that and it is not copying to a new file. I am shift clicking all of the object/sub layers and choosing copy, though when I paste into a new file it is only copying the top most main layer.

I am specifically working with this .AI template file and trying to copy this layer and sublayer to a new file.

Download

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With which of the three files in the zip archive are you trying to work? If it is the .ai file, then select all by clicking to the right of the circle of the main layer and you should see a large blue square. This indicates that the top layer and all sublayers are selected for copying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about with this one, where the .AI file has blank layers and nothing to select, though I want to copy the blank layers to a new file?

Download

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't copy layers. You can copy objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

make something in each layer and copy that. you can also make a script to read layers from one doc and create them on another

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it not do what you want to save it as a template? File > Save as Template, then for the new one: File > New from Template…

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Paste Remembers Layers" need to be checked on the target file. Layer copy is not supported, however, object copy is. Select the objects on the layer you want to copy: Unlock if layer is locked. Use the multi-select tool. Copy + A + C (Windows) from the source layer followed by a Copy + V on the target. The paste operation will create a new layer with the same name as the source.

The above is on Illustrator on Windows. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2024 Jan 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to add that, Found it useful that ....
Once you've copied the objects Ctrl+A+C (Windows) residing on your Original Ai file layer, and ensured 'Paste Remember Layers' is clicked in the Target Ai file Layer's drop down, Ctrl+F also seems to paste the copied objects in the same coordinate position on a new layer with the Original Ai layer name in this Target Ai file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines