Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create a color palette in RGB and CMYK

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there! 

I want to create a simple color palette for a logo in illustrator. 

I picked a nice color, working in de RGB mode. I use the color picker to write down the color hex code RGB and CMYK code.

1. Would you suggest to use the color picker in illustrator for writing down the color codes? Or are there better ways? Attached is a screenshot. I just copied the codes for the palette, but I'm not sure if this is the right way? 

2. When finding the right CMYK color, could I just write down the CMYK values from the color picker, or should I first convert the document to CMYK, and then use to color picker and write down the color values? 

Hope you can help 🙂 

Schermafbeelding 2022-07-28 om 15.26.05.png

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could be very surprised when you enter the values in a CMYK document, this is especially true for RGB colors that cannot be reproduced with CMYK inks. Try to fill a rectangle with the RGB color, copy it and paste it into a CMYK document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see it changing. But what do you recommend when creating a color palette? Should I use the color picker? Or should a just start in CMYK, run a printing test, and if the color is right. Than choose a RGB color that looks nice? I just want to learn the workflow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is easier to find a similar looking color when you start in a CMYK document. When you note the CMYK numbers and change the Color panel to RGB you will see the closest RGB values. It all depends how Color Management is set up. You seem to work with European settings, but the values will be different for other regions and printing processes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at this thread...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/rgb-and-cmyk-best-color-match/m-p/969...

It has some good information in here you may find useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are creating a logo that will at any time be used for print then it is probably best if you create it in CMYK. This is because when printing any color that you use will have to be produced using a combination of the four process colors. This is very limiting but it is a fact that a huge range of RGB and even PANTONE colors will be what is known as "out of gamut". That means they cannot be reasonably reproduced using process colors. It will be far easier to match the RGB colors to corresponding CMYK colors than vice versa. As far as matching PANTONE colors try looking at the CMYK Color Bridge library. This will show the projected result of CMYK printing for any PANTONE color. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so let's say I start in CMYK.  And let's say I found a great color in CMYK. How do i find the right RGB version for that? Can I just select the color and than use the color picker to write down the RGB codes from that selected color? Or do I need another workflow? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines