Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create a double helix

Participant ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DoubleHelix.jpg

One would think a double helix wouldn't be rocket science in Illustrator, but I'm stumped. See the two twisted ribbons herewith, each created by extending a thin rectangle diagonally along the extrusion of a circle, using 3D effect. I'd like them to twist inside each other, though. I don't need the final illustration to be editable 3d, though that would be cool. The first blunt-object idea I had was just to expand/flatten the top object and then erase the portion that's going "behind" the bottom object. This has proven more difficult than I'd hoped.

Any help doing this, or finding any other nifty way of making a double helix in Illustrator gratefully accepted. A google search has been surprisingly unsuccessful.

Rob

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Here is my 2D live effects interpretation in case this is useful to you.

Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 6.56.43 PM.png

http://files.kaleidoscopechicago.com/_2Y0KqXd7vTXs9R

Double Helix.ai

1.1 MB

The URL will expire on July 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create 2 equal squares and give then then gradient shape

step1.png

From Transform Panel change corner angles of first one to 60 Degrees and second one to -60 degrees ,

steps 2.png

it will look like this

step 3.png

Then Duplicate it by ALT and drag and rotate second one to 180 degrees and adjust the positions.

step 4.png

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my 2D live effects interpretation in case this is useful to you.

Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 6.56.43 PM.png

http://files.kaleidoscopechicago.com/_2Y0KqXd7vTXs9R

Double Helix.ai

1.1 MB

The URL will expire on July 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really elegant, Mike. Thanks.

I also found this older discussion where JETalmage uploaded a really interesting PDF showing a 3D effects approach. The downside to that, at least the way I worked with my own file, is that the file was 31 mb, and after awhile, at least on my computer, the slightest modification causes a really slow redraw.

I'm thinking, though, of doing an Expand Appearance on the "twisted ladder" and then adding on your ribbons for a complete DNA strand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great glad you enjoyed that. Please post your result if you have time and let us know what you might find. If I had time was going to make a new stroke profile where the center is not as fat so the tips do not get so thin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still in the midst of the work, but the one thing I've done early on is to expand the strokes into shapes. Much easier to flip and otherwise re-arrange that way. If you flip the stroke that still has the flag wave effect, the effect doesn't flip along with it and has to be reversed manually. Or at least this is how I had to deal with it.

FlaggedStrokes.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In appearance palette you can change the warp amount to a negative value to flip.

The flip icon in the gradient panel is most useful on this project.

I try to keep my work live without expanding as far as I can go, have had many accidental great designs happen that way. And you can always expand, but not the other way around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Mike,

Please could you upload your Double Helix.ai file again?  I've just come across this thread and it's what I'm trying to do.

Many thanks,

Jon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Jon,

I no longer have that file, but created a new one with steps for you to follow how I got there.

http://files.kaleidoscopechicago.com/_Mg1ZQ7MpUR0spR

Double Helix2.ai

119 KB

The URL will expire on Dec 28.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

That's very kind of you, thank you!

Have a great day,

Jon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if anyone's interested, I made a version of my own the first time this topic came around:

double helix brush.ai - Google Drive

helix.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did something similar. I am sharing if interested.

My starting point was an angled stroke line and applied a Warp>Flag.

Expanded the Flag.

My friends here were Selection Tool, Direct Selection Tool, Layers, Transform, Align, Pathfinders, Preview Mode, Outline Mode, Smart Guides, Live Paint.

I then made some Pattern Brushes.

K

Screen Shot _brush.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines