Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create cutlines for text automatically without using Pathfinder

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I hope you guys can help me. I'm running a decal shop and I'm personalizing items for my customers. Since I need to retype the text all the time, I also need to click each type on "Object > Expand" and then "Pathfinder > Merge". This is very time consuming and sometimes I forget to do it before cutting the text with my cutting machine. 

Is there any workaround so I can type the text and it automatically merges all letters? 

Thank you so much, really appreciated.

Best regards

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so, that would be really handy.

But I'm sure this can be scripted or actioned, but you'll still have to remember to run them!

Try recording an action...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, an action works. I did Outline, Unite, but same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaultr9yhpdey3v9n wrote:

Since I need to retype the text all the time, I also need to click each type on "Object > Expand" and then "Pathfinder > Merge".

Do you mean Outline Text? If so:

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The type object has to be converted to outlines in order to apply a cut path to it. Running a pathfinder Unite function over the converted type object is usually a good idea in practice. The tracking in many typefaces will have some letters overlapping each other. Then there is the issue of OpenType Variable fonts; many of those feature vector overlaps within many of the individual letters. That can be a disaster if routing letters on a routing table.

If you're re-using the same document as a sort of template I suggest creating another dummy/template layer that has live type objects in the desired positions. You could do this with a separate document as well. The type objects can be quickly copied to the clipboard and pasted in place (Ctrl+F) into the actual production layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines