Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a relative shape/path around a group of irregular objects

Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a method for automatically creating a single path around a group of objects.

Using Appearance > New Stroke > Convert to Shape I can get a basic path (see attachment 1), but I'm looking for something that stays a little more faithful to the shapes within the group (attachment 2).

Any tips or advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Here's what worked for me -

Group the text  - then use Add New Stroke in the Appearance panel. Select just the stroke and use Offset Path to set it up. At this point, it will not yet look the way you want. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 9.01.13 AM.png

Then go to the Object menu and Expand Appearance. This will turn the offset stroke into a separate group. Chose the stroke group and use Object > Compound Path > Release. Once you have done that, use Pathfinder to join the parts and eliminate the inside strokes.

Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 9.02.13 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 9.01.13 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021
pixxxelschubser_0-1616508887432.png

… but I'd be curious to hear your thoughts 🙂 Which effects do you think might work in this instance..?

By @mikes82936200

--> jump to quoted post

Sure.

You can use effects on paths - or groups - or even on layers. Effects then affect all objects in this layer.

• "Target selection" the layer, then add in Appearancs Panel a new stroke with desired values

Aussehen_Schrift_offsetPath_01.png

• add effect: Offset Path

Aussehen_Schrift_offsetPath_02.png

• set the val

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Select text and expand (object > expand), if not already expanded.
2. Select path and offset (object > path > offset path).
3. Select all paths and ungroup (Ctrl + Shift + G).
4. Select and unite offset paths only (window > pathfinder > unite).
5. Assign stroke color and no fill to united path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for your reply!

The offset path method is suitable, but only for single words/objects (my fault, I should have specifed in the original post).

Ideally I'm looking for something which will create a single box arounds all the elements as a convert to shape would, and without paths inside the objects (highlighted in red in the new attachment).

Hope this makes sense. I'm not sure whether this is within the capabilities of Illustrator, but thought I'd reach out to see what you guys think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mikes82936200 

Do you need real paths?

Or only the appearance?

In the second case you can work with live text and effects to get this result.

Advantage: fully editable and the effects are live.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply!

Ultimately I'd need real paths, but I'd be curious to hear your thoughts 🙂 Which effects do you think might work in this instance..?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what worked for me -

Group the text  - then use Add New Stroke in the Appearance panel. Select just the stroke and use Offset Path to set it up. At this point, it will not yet look the way you want. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 9.01.13 AM.png

Then go to the Object menu and Expand Appearance. This will turn the offset stroke into a separate group. Chose the stroke group and use Object > Compound Path > Release. Once you have done that, use Pathfinder to join the parts and eliminate the inside strokes.

Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 9.02.13 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 9.01.13 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply!

This method works nicely, but ideally I'm looking for something which will join all objects, even if they are separated. I might be using your method incorrectly, but I'm still getting two paths. I'm hoping to get something like the bottom example in the attached image...

Any suggestions...? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you would have to add the joining bit separately, and use pathfinder to merge it with your shapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I thought that might be the case. No worries, thanks for your efforts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pixxxelschubser_0-1616508887432.png

… but I'd be curious to hear your thoughts 🙂 Which effects do you think might work in this instance..?

By @mikes82936200

--> jump to quoted post

Sure.

You can use effects on paths - or groups - or even on layers. Effects then affect all objects in this layer.

• "Target selection" the layer, then add in Appearancs Panel a new stroke with desired values

Aussehen_Schrift_offsetPath_01.png

• add effect: Offset Path

Aussehen_Schrift_offsetPath_02.png

• set the value for Offset Path

Aussehen_Schrift_offsetPath_03.png

• add new effect: Pathfinder --> Add

Aussehen_Schrift_offsetPath_04.png

• result

Aussehen_Schrift_offsetPath_05.png

• texts can still be fully edited - live effects automatically adapt to the new text

Aussehen_Schrift_offsetPath_06.png

 

If you need real paths, you can use menu: Object --> Expand Appearance on layers level.

That's all.

If that works for you

Have fun

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great, but it does still leave the inside lines, unless the offset is large enough to delete them.

Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 11.24.46 AM.png

But playing with this, I found that adding two pathfinder effects: Merge and Add, the center strokes go away. 

Either effect alone leaves them.

Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 11.27.41 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Exactly. It always depends on what look you want to achieve in the end. And it is very important to pay attention to the order of the effects.

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines