Exit

creating a stroke on the outside of an object

New Here ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a drawing an object:

illustrator.png

I want to add a stroke but only to one side, the outside of this circle, in other words, on the same side as that red box. How can I get this done?

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show the outline of this. And also this thing in the layers panel. What is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Kecat,

As I (mis)understand it, you can:

0) Copy the artwork and lock the original;

1) If you wish to exclude any outside parts such as the part at the top left gouing out from the circle, delete it it before proceeding further;

2) Select the copy artwork and Object>Compound Path>Release, then Pathfinder>Unite to get one solid path, then Object>Path>Offset Path by half the desired Stroke Weight, then switch from fill to stroke and set the desired colour and (full) Stroke Weight;

3) Delete the solid path from 2) and unlock the original artwork.

With this, you ought to have the original artwork tightly surrounded on the outside by a stroked path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines