• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating tints or shades of a color

Enthusiast ,
Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all! I am trying to make a tint of a color (ex: 70% of a specific blue color). I haven't had to do this in awhile, so the directions I'd saved were no longer current. I did some reasearch, and watched some youtube videos. But... the process doesn't seem to always work. 

I select the color I want a tint of. I make sure that color has the "global" checkbox checked in the New Swatch window. I open the Properties panel. I make sure my object I want to change is selected. I click the "Fill" box in the Properties panel. Then I click on the "Color Mixer" tab. Theortetically, the tint slider should appear. And once in awhile it does. But more often, I just get the RGB sliders. No tint slider to be found. I feel like I'm playing rouletette... sometimes my number comes up and sometimes it doesn't. What can I do to be sure that the tint slider shows up every time? 

Thanks! 

PS This is a LOT of steps to just get a tint. In my opinion, it should be as easy as changing the transparency. I'm surprised it's not! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

DigitalChickster,

"it should be as easy as changing the transparency. I'm surprised it's not!"

How about this?

1) Set the Opacity to 70%,

2) Flatten Transparency.

You can have a solid white  background in 1), and you can move a copy, maybe retaining an overlap, and apply 2) to that for comparison.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will get the Tint sliders if you are working with a Spot Color. Otherwise, you will get the sliders that corospond to your document's color mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! OK. I didn't get that distinction in the tutorials I was seeing. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Actually tint sliders will show under the color window on process as well spot colors... Once you convert a swatch to a Global color the tiny slider will show. You will see the color mixer if you are selecting grouped objects though - simply go to the individual color to adjust the tint.

tint-example.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I create a color in the Color panel and choose to create a Global Swatch from it, the Color Panel shows a percentage slider to select a tint percentage.

The Color Guide panel shows swatches with percentages of that global color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DigitalChickster,

"it should be as easy as changing the transparency. I'm surprised it's not!"

How about this?

1) Set the Opacity to 70%,

2) Flatten Transparency.

You can have a solid white  background in 1), and you can move a copy, maybe retaining an overlap, and apply 2) to that for comparison.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES! That's it! That works great. THANK YOU SO MUCH! And it's much quicker than the way I was trying to do it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my part you are welcome, DigitalChickster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines