• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cutting the stroke line from the shape

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2024 Sep 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im trying to cut out the stroke line from a shape, but I want it to trim the shape as well, not just remove the stroke. I can delete the stroke when I expand, but it doesn't cut the shape. I want to remove. I want to cut the white but from the shape as well

TOPICS
How-to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use Pathfinder tools to cut the stroke shape through the original source path once everything is expanded. If the stroke expands in some unpredictable manner, such as it consumes the original source path, you can undo the operation. To have total control you can select and copy the source path with the not yet expanded stroke to the clipboard for safe keeping. The path that's still visible on the art board can have its stroke expanded. Pathfinder operations can make the expanded stroke cut through the source path. If something goes wrong the back-up path saved in the clipboard can be pasted in place.

Depending on the kind of output, it might not be a good thing to make the expanded stroke cut through the path. In various kinds of print output a certain level of trapping is needed to avoid tiny gaps showing at the object edges. The original source path will be running along the center line underneath the object's stroke. If you have the expanded stroke simply resting above the source path, with no cutting involved, you'll retain a kind of trapping for print output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Draw 2 lines where you want to cut the shape, then select all objects and click on Divide from the pathfinder panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2024 Sep 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That white line is a shape itself.

Please show the complete object and tell us exactly in which way you want to cut it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2024 Sep 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Kyle,

As I (mis)understand it, Bobby has given the full answer, both to the way to cut/trim as described and to the considerations that may call for another solution.

Concerning the way to cut, I agree that the white path has obviously been made with a stroke and no fill originally, and that is why it needs to be outlined/expanded unless already so that it has a fill and no stroke in order to trim as you describe; then you can use the Subtract from Shape Area in the Pathfinder Panel,

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/combining-objects.html#pathfinder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines