• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Designing a Cover page

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys..i am trying to design a cover page following exactly this kind of design on this link using illustrator: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/365284219769095400/ (or see attached image below). Whats the best way to come with this design. Kindly assist . Thank you

TOPICS
Draw and design , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ring of images is the specific part in this. You can create this using the polar grid tool. Like so:

1. Create the ring

2. Outline strokes

3. Fill the gaps with shapebuilder

4. Rotate the shapes

5. Put iamges into the shapes.

See a video: https://youtu.be/nFsxIkJvWn0 In the video I have to undo once because I didn't hit the center when rotating.

WHen working with the polar grid tool while the mouse is still pressed you can use the up and down, left and right arrow keys to control the number of lines. Press Alt to create it from the center, press Shift to make a perfect circle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can get there even easier: it's not necessary to fill all these single shapes with the shapebuilder tool. Instead after having created the polag grid:

1. assign the stroke width

2. Outline stroke

3. Pathfinder panel: Unite

4. Object. > Compound path > Release

5. delete the outmost path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tinotendame,

As far as I can see, the Kentsbridge page is made of three sets of objects (which can all be on the same Layer):

A) At the bottom: The background consisting of the logo, the wording, and the colouring in the form of the black box and the isometric pattern which extends all the way to the right; all made as vector artwork/fonts.

B) In the middle: The set of photos.

C) At the top: A masking set produced from highly regular/irregular parts made by a combination of concentric circles and parts of rays, showing parts of the individual photos and letting the colouring at the bottom show through the gaps/knockouts between the photo parts.

The creation of the masking set C) is crucial, and you can move the photos B) about beneath the masking set C) for best fit, and you can move A) and B) together on top of the background A).

Fundamentally, for the creation you will have to work with concentric circles, which can be done in different ways.

You can start with a Polar Grid with no radial dividers so you just have the circles, or you can start by creating one circle and then offset it to get the basic circle shapes in the bottom half. Note that there are different kinds of transitions to circle shapes that are offset outwards in the topmost part, with the addition that there seems to be an inward offset to the very right, and with the addition that the transition on both sides of the photo of the woman is gradual rather than stepwise. In other words, only some of the circular parts correspond to the regularity of a Polar Grid/the same offset everywhere.

The radial gaps/knockout parts are rays, in other words they widen outwards, which can be seen clearly in the thicker ones, most of them are different, and none of them are flush. You can create each ray by starting with a full ray from the centre out and only use the relevant part of it.

Obviously, if "following exactly this kind of design on this link" is to be taken less than literally, things can be simplified a bit; but it is quite manageable to make everything, including the gradual transitions.

After creating the parts described, I believe the most straighforward way to finish is to:

1) Get rid of the gaps/knockout parts; you can use outline stroke and then the shape builder or pathfinders to end up with only the relevant final part, then delete the gaps/knockout parts;

2) Turn the remaining (more or less) circular parts into compound paths, one for each photo;

3) Select each compound path along with the corresponding photo and Ctrl/Cmd+7 (Clipping Mask/set);

4) Adjust the appearance by moving each photo about (select it without selecting the Clipping Mask, you can do that in the Layers panel) until it looks its best, and if needed you can move the whole set of Clipping Masks/sets on top of the background.

Whatever you do, avoid spelling errors like the Name in the wording.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha. I got a good laugh out of "Kentsbrigde."

Earlier this week I was working on a banner layout for a fund-raising event listing a few company logos as donors. I had to make a vector-based version of a construction company's logo. For some odd reason my "construction" letters weren't lining up correctly with the letters in their logo. I was trying to get as close as possible to the odd (and possibly stretched) typeface they used. Then I realized they mispelled the word "construction" in their logo. It was typed as "constructon" instead. I busted out laughing. The mistake was all over their company web site. We read words as whole shapes, making it very easy for spelling mistakes to stay hidden until it's too late.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also wanted to add that the best way to construct this is to comp your background as one total image in Photoshop

1. Use the polar grid tool as described in previous post to make all your shapes for the image
  2. Copy the vector paths from Illustrator and paste into photoshop canvas to the size of your page with bleed
  3. Use the circular paths to add masks on image layers on Photoshop
  4. Place only 1 .psd into Illustrator

This will be better for more than a few reasons:

• Your Illustrator file will work quicker
  • Will be easier to manage and move around art,
  • You can make color corrections all one image in Photoshop to ensure the images are complimentary to each other
  • Will ensure the same color profile and color space is on all images
  • Will be quicker to adapt from print to the web if needed
  • You will need to gather less mb when sending to print and also less images

Only reason not to would be if you have no Photoshop experience

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines