Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dimensions change when rotating objects

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am working on a design for nail stickers and each sticker needs to between 0,5 mm - 0,8 mm. Whenever I set their width and height though, they change when I rotate them. Is there someway to avoid this? Please help!

Thanks!

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

I guess you may be just a bit confused about the way Illustrator displays dimensions in the Transform palette.

Let's take the green western boot in your example file. Its width is 0,7884 cm and its height is 0,8855 cm according to the Transform palette. If you rotate the boot by 45 degrees for example, the Transform palette says that its width is now 1,0451 cm and its height 0,7705 cm. But that does not mean that the boot dimensions have changed. It just shows how Illustrator's Transform palet

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

You are talking about pretty small objects, but you should also describe what kind of geometry you are using (preferably, you may share a sample Illustrator file) and what kind of rotations you are applying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kurt,

I am using the latest version of Illustrator. I am still pretty new to it so my knowledge is basic.

I'll attach a file. Basically, I'm applying the different icons along the periphery of different sized circles. So, the stickers have to be rotated to follow the curves on the circle and this is where I'm experiencing the problem.

Thanks,

Lauren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess you may be just a bit confused about the way Illustrator displays dimensions in the Transform palette.

Let's take the green western boot in your example file. Its width is 0,7884 cm and its height is 0,8855 cm according to the Transform palette. If you rotate the boot by 45 degrees for example, the Transform palette says that its width is now 1,0451 cm and its height 0,7705 cm. But that does not mean that the boot dimensions have changed. It just shows how Illustrator's Transform palette reads width and height based on a (virtual) unrotated bounding box. In other words the values you see in the Transform palette are based on some kind of Cartesian coordinate system with horizontal and vertical axes.

That is, at least if my guess applies, you don't have to worry about it. It's just normal and you can be sure that the rotated boot has not changed at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ohhh okay, thank you so much for exaplining that to me!! That helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*explaining

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lauren,

In addition to what Kurt said, as I (mis)understand it, you may be able to apply all the different icons round each circle in one go, without placing/rotating each icon one by one, with the same distance between centres or spacing as desired.

Unless your Blend decides to move in mysterious ways, you can:

1) Select all the icons for the circle and place them beside one another, then make a copy of the first one and place it after the last one, then make sure their stacking order (in the expanded Layer in the Layers panel) corresponds to their positions, then Align them (Vertical Align Center in Align Objects), then use Horizontal Distribute Center or use Horizontal Distribute Space;

2) Object>Blend>Options, set Spacing to Specified Steps = 1, and set Orientation to Align to Path;

3) Select all the icons from 1) and Object>Blend>Make, and shudder at the way it looks (optional);

4) Select the circle and cut it with the Scissors Tool where you wish to have the centre of the first icon;

5)ShiftClick the Blend and Object>Blend>Replace Spine;

6) Object>Blend>Expand and delete the malformed intermediate shapes along with the copy of the first icon (it is on top).

Hopefully you are through.

If the Blend has decided to move in mysterious ways, it may be possible to correct it by simple means such as rotating icons by 180 degrees (you can select all the ailing ones and use Transform Each).

There are more cunning ways, including the use of symbols, and I am sure Kurt can come up with a few.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lauren,

A safer (albeit maybe no more cunning) way is to (Smart Guides being your friends):

1) Create a circle larger than the largest icon with an impossible/otherwise unused Stroke colour, and snap the sentre of (a copy of) it to the top Anchor Point of each circle, then rotate the relevant number copies of it round the circle (by 360/total number, in degrees);

2) Place (a copy of) each desired icon into the relevant copy circle, you can use Align horizontally and vertically and/or visually to look right, as desired, then rotate each set of copy circle and icon (by number*360/total number in degrees);

3) Select all the sets of copy circle and icon and rotate as desired, if desired, to avoid all of them have an icon at the top Anchor Point;

4) Delete the copy circles or set their Stroke to None or their colour to None or their Opacity to 0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Lauren,

when in the Properties panel you perhaps see the three dots at the bottom of section Transform.

Click them and you'll get some more information about your selected object. Also the true width and height for the unrotated object. Instead if you are using the Transform panel from the Window main menu you see that values immediately.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines