• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Direct selection tool appears to move whole object until mouse release

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been struggling with an issue regarding the direct selection tool. In much earlier versiions of Illustrator, when points of an object were selected using the direct selection tool, only those points would move if moved to a new position. Now though I'm forever getting the whole object moving, and the unselected points will then snap back to their original position when the mouse is released. It does this in CC2020 and 2022. The attached screen recording shows what I mean (for clarification, I only want the top points in the selection to move). Is this how the direct selection tool is now supposed to work? If not, what am I missing? Any help appreciated.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 19, 2023 Jun 19, 2023

Thank you! This was driving me nuts. Disabling real time editing fixed the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it part of a group you are trying to move? I still see the Selection tool selected in the Toolbox.

Does it do the same thing when you select the Direct Selection tool in the Toolbox?

And restarting machines, resetting preferences may help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ton

Thanks for your reply. It's not part of a group. You are correct, I have the selection tool selected but I'm using the quick key (v) to select the direct selection tool while dragging over the points I want to select. I've had this issue for many months (if not years) and have tried to workaround it, so have restarted numerous times. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so these are arrowheads. I cannot reproduce the problem, my MacOS is Catalina.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ton, the video shows four anchor points on the circle selected, and the circle when moved ends up out of alignment with the line segment, which is not consistent with arrowhead behavior.

Russ, I can confirm the behavior that you describe when I have the Selection Tool active and I press (in my setup) the command key to activate the Direct Selection pointer. When I select the Direct Selection Tool from the Toolbar or by pressing the A key only the selected points move with the cursor. I would suggest that you go to https://illustrator.uservoice.com/ to report this as a bug, and include your video.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter

Great, will do. And many thanks for the link. 

Regards

Russell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can replicate it too. 

It does work as expected when GPU Preview (real time editing) is disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2023 Jun 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! This was driving me nuts. Disabling real time editing fixed the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines