• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Direct Selection Tool - Illustrator 2024 - v28.5

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the last 2-3 weeks, I have been experiencing an issue with the direct selection tool.  If I click on an object, there is a pause and then the whole object is moved to a random spot.  If I attempt to select two items to group together, there is a pause then the two items are yanked out of position.  If I click on an object to duplicate it, instead of just selecting it, it moves it to wherever my mouse goes.  It is as though the selection tool has become "sticky" and "laggy" at the same time.  I am on a 2021 Macbook running Sonoma 14.5 using a mighty mouse. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Illustrator, but there was no improvement.  Every task is taking 1000 times longer than it should because I am constantly putting objects back where they were. What is happening and how do I get it to stop!!

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

It can be other apps too, try to run Illustrator without any other apps to detect if others are interfering.

Try if it goes away in Safe Mode:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mh21245/mac#:~:text=Turn%20on%20or%20restart%20your,Boot%E2%80%9D%20in%20the%20menu%20bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is the issue. But no, I do not have the Magnet app installed.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can be other apps too, try to run Illustrator without any other apps to detect if others are interfering.

Try if it goes away in Safe Mode:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mh21245/mac#:~:text=Turn%20on%20or%20restart%20your,B....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closing all other programs and apps does seem to do the trick!  Thank you, this was driving me insane.  Now I just need to tell my boss that I won't be available via Teams or Outlook while working on projects 🙂  Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear you've got it working now. And you probably don't get distracted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the success was short lived.  It is back to being sticky again.  ugg!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If not Magnet, then perhaps Rectangle? Moom? Display Pilot? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disable View >> Snap to Pixel if on

Do you have security software like Proofpoint?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2024 Jun 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue too, and it is driving me NUTS. I have run an update, restarted my computer multiple times.... no luck. Anything I want to select just to change a color, I have to pick it up, move it, undo the move, and then it stays selected just in order to click the object and change a color or copy it. Working in Ai has been MISERABLE this week with this issue....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should also add that I CAN'T close all apps while working on this because I have to have my work email, teams, etc. open, and often I'm pasting things from Ai into PPT (company is old school and still wants to view it that way when it's done). In my opinion, you shouldn't have to have all apps closed in order to get something to do a job it's always done properly.... has anyone figured out the fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Magnet, Rectangle or Moom installed? Which system are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2024 Jul 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A team member found that there is a security app that is the root cause.  It is called PEA and all we had to do was rename the app PEA2 and it stopped interfereing with Illustrator.  If it happens again, we just have to rename it.  How he found that this was the app causing difficulty, I have no idea.  (Go > Macintosh HD > Library > look for the security app and rename it). It is pure madness to try to naviate Illustrator when this is happening. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines