• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do the Shaper Tool and Shape Builder Tool not work together?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shaper Tool and Shape Builder Tool not working together. 

I am new to Illustrator and and trying to teach it to my high school students. I taught the Shaper Tool on the top portion of a document and then had the students building shapes with the Shape Builder tool at the bottom of the document. When kids started to combine shapes with the Shaper Tool and then try using the Shape Builder Tool to keep adding to the shape it wasn't working. They weren't supposed to be using both, but I don't understand why it matters. I have a video above to show what I mean. Is this normal? Why can't I use one tool on part of a shape and then use the other tool on another part of the shape? I've got to be missing something. Thanks for any help.

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

When you combine shapes using the Shaper Tool and select the resulting shape, if you look at the top of the Properties panel you will see that you have a Shaper Group, which does not behave as an ordinary shape, or group of shapes, does. Select the Shaper Group (flower and pot), then go to the bottom of the Properties panel and click on the Expand button. If the panel is not sufficiently elongated you may need to drag the bottom of it downward to expose the button. Alternatively, go to the Objec

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Shaper tool cooperates with the Live paint tool.

The shapebuilder on the other hand does a comparable thing, but is destructive when doing it. The other two create live objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. However, were you able to watch the video? I’m trying to figure out why I can’t get the Shape Builder to work on a shape that has been altered with the Shaper Tool. Am I doing something wrong or do they not work together? I’m new to Illustrator so your response may be answering the question, but I don’t understand what Live Paint has to do with my issue as we’re not using Live Paint. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would use the Pathfinder panel--much easier to understand and control (for me, at least...)

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not clear  from the video if you selected the 2 object you need. 

Objects need to be selected!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you combine shapes using the Shaper Tool and select the resulting shape, if you look at the top of the Properties panel you will see that you have a Shaper Group, which does not behave as an ordinary shape, or group of shapes, does. Select the Shaper Group (flower and pot), then go to the bottom of the Properties panel and click on the Expand button. If the panel is not sufficiently elongated you may need to drag the bottom of it downward to expose the button. Alternatively, go to the Object menu and go down to Expand.

You should now be able to set the rectangle over the flowerpot group and use the Shape Builder Tool in the expected fashion.

I hope I've explained this well enough to help. If not, please feel free to ask for a better explanation.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Great explanation, that was it! Thank you so much. I expanded the Shaper group and it worked perfectly. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome! I'm delighted that it was useful to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines