Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.adobe.com/cc/letter.html

Seems there won't be a CS7 ever.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 230 Replies 230
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2013 Sep 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, this got a bit sidetracked.

But the sidetracking happened because Docpixel-BMW stated that my argument against CC was false. If he had any information that would prove we can solve this without compromising security I would like to hear it.

Otherwise I would still argue that we still need perpetual licenses where people can download the the complete application like before, instead of using this new cloud control app to install/download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Markusaker wrote:

If he had any information that would prove we can solve this without compromising security I would like to hear it.

In case you need help on installing, you would want to ask in the appropriate forum, since only then you've got a  chance to get answers from the people who know.

If you get the definite answer "not possible" then you can still complain about that fact in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Markusaker - the only proof I have is that I nor any of my clients are running with Cloud storage, or even the Cloud control panel running as an active or background process. We have also turned off auto updates for fear of unattended borking of our production machines, as well as do NOT use any of the TypeKit fonts because we have spent in the many $1000's to own our fonts.

We do have the advantage of admin privileges on our machines though, which may or may not be your biggest problem. As far as I know, Adobe has for many versions required you to install using an admin account, and then go into a locked user account later.

And IMHO, if your IT dept. knew what they were doing, and you really do need to have CC rather than say CS6, someone would have the authority at your business to make it happen. Even if for the time it takes for the installation, roughly 30 minutes for the entire suite. Just sayin'.

Also... just to point it out: see what I mean with staying on track with the CC discussion? Everyone and his dog has a theory and point of attack why CC is wrong. Without attacking shareholders, investor or manager corruption, wild-eyed theories of contempt for their customers... it would be nice to bring a solid user-backed movement with 1... ONE!... goal and message: give us the right to purchase a perpetual license if we want... and in many cases... NEED to! The constant sarcastic vitriol does NOT, and is NOT... getting results! So can we please try something different?

Sorry, but the uninterruptable First-World-B****ing & Moaning is truly nauseous some days. I don't know about you folks, but I am so tickled most days that we have this powerful stuff at our fingertips, and that it's half-way affordable. Actually a downright steal. I cut my own Rubylith for many years, before moving to a 30k Quantel Paintbox. These days it's around $800/year for "high tech production" exclusive of the machine. Less than many people's habits of one kind or another, many of which will probably end up killing 'em some day. Just a view with perspective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Basically, all I want is to be able to buy an upgrade with a perpetual licence. The rental scheme does not work for me at all.

Meantime I am sticking with CS6, hoping either that Adobe will agree with me (and 10,000s of others) or that alternative non-Adobe non-subscription software is available for Macs. So far found a couple and I think some software vendors may be upping their already pretty good stuff (OmniGraffle for instance) in the next year or so.

So, time to let Adobe know ad nauseam we are not happy, and to sit tight and wait for developments...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Software rental by monthly fee is nothing new. It's always been the dream of software vendors. Microsoft and others have been trying to pull it off for many years. It minimizes the vendor's costs while maximizing the dependency (entrapment) of the customers who buy into it.

Adobe latched onto the "cloud" buzzword to help push it. So Adobe's own marketing has intentionally created the mythical notion that a sofware rental scheme is somehow inherently part-and-parcel of "cloud computing." That's largely why people buy into it, thinking it's some new "next wave" of computing.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the biggest reasons for Adobe pushing the subscription-only model: shareholders.

Cash flow is one of those things investors absolutely love, even at the expense of the longer term view. If Adobe can manage to get enough customers on the hook with a subscription their cash flow will look a lot more steady from one quarter to the next instead of jumping up and down every 18 months to 2 years when a new Creative Suite box is released.

I don't think Adobe would have been so bent on forcing legitimate customers who pay for the software (as opposed to illegally downloading it) into a subscription if Adobe was a privately held company. Since they sell stock and have shareholders as well as a board of directors to please on a quarterly basis it's no surprise the customers would be getting a raw deal. For all I know the idea of moving just about all new Adobe apps into a subscription-only model may have been the idea of an activist investor on the board twisting arms to the breaking point.

I think about this sort of thing when other situations are taking place, like Michael Dell trying to take the company he started back into privately held status and corporate raiders like Carl Ichan trying to stop him.

With news Adobe is going to sell a $10 month subscription of Photoshop & Lightroom for the photography market I can certainly see the $50 per month CC subscription getting divided up into even more product tiers. With sales of traditional computers being so slow and those sales possibly affecting traditional computer software sales I could see the boxed software and perpetual licenses making a comeback. All it takes are sales being bad enough for it to happen.

Lots of people are getting around in 10 year old cars. I see more people using computers nearly that old. Why wouldn't that translate to software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines