• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dull colors only in Illustrator - CMYK and RGB

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have in issue consigned to the v27 of the Mac version of Illustrator where the colors are all dull for both RGB and CMYK color spaces when compared with:

• The exact same version of Illustrator on another laptop replicating the same CMYK swatch with the exact same color settings (same proofing settings, same FOGRA39 profiles)
  • On the same laptop with side by side windows running Photoshop / Affinity replicating the same CMYK swatch in the same color mode (which shows correctly in Photoshop / Affinity)
  • An exported PDF from the plagued Illustrator version with CMYK color profile  (which shows correctly in Preview and Acrobat)
  • Even the Recently Opened previews in the home screen of Illustrator show correctly, but revert to dull versions when opened

See swtaches and differences below, with the 'correct' version shown in Illustrator. I should emphasise these are colours I have been working with for years and have always looked correct in my previous laptop running Illustrator (with the same external monitor I connect to now).

rorys64395165_2-1667991250867.png

Some other notes:

• The colours are dull both on the MacBook Pro's 14 inch screen and external monitors connected to the MacBook Pro (these monitors show the colors perfectly in Photoshp for example) - therefore in my view ruling out monitor callibration
  • I understand RGB > CMYK conversions issues can cause dullness, but I have worked with these swatches for years on other versions (including sending them to CMYK printers many times)

In terms of settings I have tried:

• Changing Colour Settings from my usual Europe General Purpose 3 to determine any difference (in anycase Photoshop shows correctly in CMYK mode under the same Europe General Purpose 3)
  • Forcing the colour swatched to be 'sourced' from CMYK values by entering those values
  • Changing Proof Setup and toggling Proof Colors mode (in any case they are the same as the laptop which shows the correct settings)
  • Other random tidbits on forums elsewhere

I am convinced the issue must be consigned to this instance of Illustrator's settings. Any ideas where else I can look? This is driving me crazy!

Illustrator color settings:

rorys64395165_0-1667991031562.png=

TOPICS
Draw and design , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Hi @rorys64395165,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing the details. We have investigated the issue, and it has been found reproducible on our end on Apple Silicon Mac running on macOS Ventura only. This is acknowledged and will be worked on by developers in future updates.

Currently, workarounds to this are to use CPU preview or run the app using rosetta or open as Intel.

Anshul_Saini_0-1668031058674.png

Please check this UserVoice and upvote it: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/45876907-macos-...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you update your Mac OS recently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new Mac came a week ago with Ventura 13.0 and so I guess that could be conisdered new (Oct 24 release).

However I updated the old Mac also to Ventura 13.0 and the colors remain normal on that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @rorys64395165,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing the details. We have investigated the issue, and it has been found reproducible on our end on Apple Silicon Mac running on macOS Ventura only. This is acknowledged and will be worked on by developers in future updates.

Currently, workarounds to this are to use CPU preview or run the app using rosetta or open as Intel.

Anshul_Saini_0-1668031058674.png

Please check this UserVoice and upvote it: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/45876907-macos-...

By doing this, you'll get updates on the issue and help prioritize.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Anshul - I'm glad I wasn't going crazy.

I can confirm switching it to CPU preview makes it better.

I just wanted to highlight that I now notice that on GPU mode using my Intel Mac (also on Ventura), the colors appear too saturated! Again switching it to CPU preview makes them look normal.

I hope you guys are able to resolve these issues quickly - obviously they are pretty fundamental!

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, @rorys64395165, for checking & confirming this. I agree this is fundamental and needs to be resolved quickly, but there's a possibility it will take some time, as this issue was introduced with macOS Ventura. We will need to check internally & with Apple, as the apps work fine on macOS Monterey.

Please stay tuned for the updates on the UserVoice.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update here? I am being shown colors in illustrator in CMYK that are not producible in RGB which I find impossible but it is true.  Apple M1 Max MAC Studio - Ventura 13.6

It's like RGB and CMYK are backwards. Right side is CMYK-  conversion to RGB makes things look dull. When I screen shot the right cmyk image and paste to any program like skype, email etc - it looks dull - Not even sure how you will see the image below. I suppose my monitor is showing more colors than programs allow?

Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 8.02.15 AM.png

As expected - the second I hit preview...the images below that are completely different change to look identical. Will attempt to take photo with phone and attach below.

IMG_6004.jpg

OMG - same thing - the second I preview the post it equalizes the images - ok - looks like you are going to have to come over to my house to see the issue. This monitor is crap (expensive & very nice but obviously has a serious issue that is visible when you sit in front of it) I likely need to contact Apple maybe???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should learn about color management and then set up your equipment. And of course Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx -been doing graphics for 25 yrs! This is a monitor issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - maybe you meant to say-  Have you looked into color management? Not. - you should learn!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Gigabot  schrieb:

Sorry - maybe you meant to say-  Have you looked into color management? Not. - you should learn!

This issue shouts "Color management" all over the place. So based on your 25 years appearance you would have mentioned how your color management is set up and that you checked monitor calibration already. You didn't do that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Monika - I have not calibrated as the room was too light earlier. The apple monitor is new and I have never callibrated in the past and some how got by(maybe technology has caught up with me).  All my workspaces are aligned across the adobe suite - I don't use bridge (I have tried to watch videos on why I should use and it really just doesn't make any sense to me.) I already had to turn off true color beacuse the colors kept shifting back and forth in real time. I will check back in with results after calibration if I can accomplish that withut extra tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok - back. No need to calibrate but did change the profile. This may be completely stupid but I think I realize the issue is a undertanding gamut color in general. The cyan that I am seeing correctly in CMYK mode is not reproducible in rgb mode due to my sRGB(my working profile).  I had to do more reading than I wanted to but at least i am not perplexed anymore 🙂 thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2023 Oct 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm really glad you could solve this. The color management documentation leaves a lot of room for improvement. Have a nice weekend!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines