Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DXF Format missing from Illustrator Export options

Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

I always use Adobe illustrator to convert customer-logo's to a DXF format, to use in lasercutting applications. This always worked wonderfull.

However, i just found that my Illustrator program won't let me give this option in the Save or Export settings.

chrome_xpk5ZFH2RX.png

chrome_HGEPAjVWTB.png

(see images Attached)

Let me know what i'm doing wrong, i'm going mad 😛   

Thanks in advance!

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Old post but I found the solution for anyone else looking.

If your document is using "large-sized canvas" you can't export to DXF for whatever reason along with a few other formats as shown in your screenshots.

The solution is to copy the artwork to a document with a "standard size canvas".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are selecting "save as". You need to "export as" /G

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 14.25.40.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used Export > Export As (see 2nd image)

My printscreen shows all my given extention options for saving/exporting. 

DXF is nowhere to be found. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DXF should be there.

Maybe the preferences corrupted or the installation failed.

And when was the lst time you rebooted the computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i've thought the same. however, it's a fresh install and i've had the option before.

Restart or a re-install doens't change a thing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have version 24.3 and DXF is definitely there.

Please contact Customer care https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I think you need to reinstall Illustrator because the option is in Export As..

Export to DXFExport to DXF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about this trouble. As mentioned above, we do have the option available on our machines. Could you please try resetting Illustrator preferences by following these steps and share your observations with us.

• Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to Location C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe 
  • Rename  Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings.old 
  • Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud. 

Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and Illustrator will recreate new folders with default settings.  

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently having this issue as well with version 25

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm sorry to start a discussion all over again about this issue. I've tried to do all you guys suggested without any success. I'm working with the latest adobe illustrator version from adobe creative cloud on an Apple Macmini M1.

The export DXF option simply isn't there.

Could you guys have any other idea I could try? 

Thanks a lot.

Regards.

Franco Barella

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue but in MAC....please advice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old post but I found the solution for anyone else looking.

If your document is using "large-sized canvas" you can't export to DXF for whatever reason along with a few other formats as shown in your screenshots.

The solution is to copy the artwork to a document with a "standard size canvas".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me BUT my issue was that my canvas was not oversized, but my initial document set up was for multiple artboards which resulted in an overall oversized document.  Coppied each piece into a new artboard individually and we were all good.  THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have encountered the same issue - can't export to DXF. Which means that the latest version of Illustrator has reduced functionality and without any prior notice. So I have installed version 25.0 and guess what DXF is back. If I can't export to DXF then there is no point of my using Illustrator at all and I might as well go full out and use Autocad instead. Really annoying and a waste of about an hour trying to work this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, this should only be an issue with the Apple Silicon-compatible version of Illustrator (25.3) on M1 Macs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have an M1 Macbook pro but this has only be an issue with later versions of Illsutrator, i.e. the last few weeks! Will this be resolved do you think? and thanks for the response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll find all the information I have about it in this megathread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/illustrator-25-3-unable-to-open-import-export-autocad-dwg...

It's a confusing thread because staff have been consolidating all posts on the subject into one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open 'Creative Cloud' and go to 'all apps' tab on the left.

Now in the Illustrator area, beside the 'Open' button you will find three dots click on this and 'Open (Intel)'.

This will let you save your DXF files on your M1 Macs until Abobe fixes the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Johnny,

Appreciate so much for your help.

Kind regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works! Fantastic 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It took a few tries to open intel but this worked! Thank you so much! I've been using an old mac with old software every time I needed to save a dxf and this will save so much time! Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you evry much Johnny, worked perfectly : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines