• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit Photos

Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2021 Sep 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only have Illustrator and don't want to pay for Photoshop to perform a task I'm not going to do very often. I have 2 photos I need to edit for a customers artwork for printing. One photo I need to remove a person from the foreground and the second photo I need to remove the background behind a subject.

Is this possible in Illustrator? If so, how?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Ken,

Depending on the exact light/shade/colour transition, the latter can be quite possible with the help of Illy (job description Adobe Illustrator), and she is always eager to help, even to stand in for her bigger sister; you can trace the (relevant) outline, by hand or with Image/Live Trace.

Whether the same applies to the former depends on whether you have a replacement for the subject to fill the hole (literally) left behind; in some cases it is quite easy if part(s) of the remaining ph

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2021 Sep 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator is a vector applcation and doesn't work with pixels.

Photoshop is a raster application which using pixels. 

Useful background detailing the difference: https://pavilion.dinfos.edu/Article/Article/2223089/vector-vs-raster-images-choosing-the-right-forma...

You can't edit photos with Illustrator. 

If you need a free option just google free alternatives, there's a few. I have no idea what tools these applications offer however. 

One more thing, having a tool is not quite the same thing as having the skill. Some editing such as object removal can require a level of expertise, depending on the complexity. Might be quicker to free;ance the edits through fiver of some similar marketplace. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be possible to do what you want with copies of the image(s), clipping masks, or opacity masks. But it will be a very clumsy process in Illustrator compared to Photoshop, if it is even possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ken,

Depending on the exact light/shade/colour transition, the latter can be quite possible with the help of Illy (job description Adobe Illustrator), and she is always eager to help, even to stand in for her bigger sister; you can trace the (relevant) outline, by hand or with Image/Live Trace.

Whether the same applies to the former depends on whether you have a replacement for the subject to fill the hole (literally) left behind; in some cases it is quite easy if part(s) of the remaining photo can be moved about, and the hole fill (which may be one or more part(s) of the remaining areas) can blend in.

In both contexts, Clipping and/or Opacity masks can be your friends.

Edit: Hi Doug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just get a sub for a month, it will pay for itself in time saved just on this one job alone.

I'm not sure of the limitations of the trial period, but worth investigating...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you get a one-month subscription, be careful that you chose the Monthly Plan, and not Annual Plan, Paid Monthly.

The monthly plan costs a bit more per month, but allows to cancel at any time without any momentary penalty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys. I have managed to trace around the person in the foreground and replace them with another part of the photo, fortunately in this case it was just clear sky, calm sea and sand. The other one I just drew a couple of outlines with the pencil tool and filled with a solid colour. Wasn't perfect (I'm a bit of a perfectionist and knew the imperfections so they stood out!) but the client was extremely happy with the result so must be ok then!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should have at least one raster image editor on hand.

Photoshop Elements is a one-time purchase (no subscription required):

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also used photoshop express but that is very basic and could't acheave what I needed this time around.

I have used Paint.net in the past with my hobby (for watermarking), I'll get that for work too, will come in handy. I will check out some of those other links too, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop Express is NOT PS Elements.  Two different apps.

Elements is more like Photoshop CC.   It supports layers, masking and the other tools you're likely to need for photo editing but without all the bells & whistles.  Try it free for 30 days.

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements/try-elements.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I realise that. It's just that the number of times I'll need to use it, it's not worth expense of purchasing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can install photoshop as trail first and use it for 3 days, then you will decide to buy it if want.

also i can help editing the photos for you... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have already used up the free trial previously.

I've got it all sorted for now, thanks for the offer though. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines