• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing stock image.

New Here ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found the adobe stock images and started the free trail, by downlaoding a sweet image I'm hoping to edit for my business. However being a complete novice to Illustrator, I have no idea how to in fact edit said image. All i want to do is add some text above and below the image itself, but for some reason i cannot. 

I'm aware that normally the object would be otlined blue to edit, however this object i've downloaded is otlined red. Is this telling me that i have to do something first to allow me access to edit? I appreciate this is probably day one, week one stuff, but any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The object outline in red can be on a different layer, click on an empty area, using the selectio tool (the fist tool, shortcut v) to unselect eveything, then select the txt tool, shorcut T, and click totype on thr image. 
With the text still selected you can change the typeface, size, ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a better understanding of what you're seeing:

The bounding box of a selected object is the color that's assigned to the layer on which it resides. The default color of Layer 1 is indeed blue, but when a second layer, Layer 2, comes into existence, its default color is red, so your image is just likely on Layer 2, and that's why its bounding box is red.

So you're aware, if your "image" is a raster image—made of of pixels as opposed to vector elements—you won't be able to "edit" it, per se. That is, Illustrator is not a a raster image editor; it is a vector graphic application. You can place or paste a raster image within the Illustrator editing space, but it will behave as a static object, and you won't be able to change anything within its pixel makeup. You will, however, be able to add text to the composition as a separate, vector object using the Type tool, if that's your objective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for the late reply, but thank you for the comprehensive reply. Your explanation has made it make sense.

I think i may have selected the wrong thing as i downloaded the image then. I played around with the image and managed to get the text i wanted on it, however, now my problem is can't seem to save it for use outside of Illustrator. If you have any advice on this, it would be greatly appreciated, although i may give Monika Gause's video a look at first. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recorded a series of videos on editing stock images: Check out if they help you.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVqhHu3CSohVhofyDlCIh3Z-Qk8qSmMqZ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I appreciate this, I'm watching it now thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you editing text in the downloaded file?

If not you don't need to open it, just place it in a new doc and type what you want in that new doc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines