Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing symbols - Layer Options - changing 'select' color doesn't work

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator latest version, Windows 10.

When I'm editing a symbol its default 'select' colour, ie the colour of the outline of selected shapes, is yellow, which is unhelpful as it's not especially visible. If I use the dropdown menu on the Layers palette to change this colour, eg 'options for "Symbol X', I can change the colour to something else and that change is reflected on screen, but when I exit symbol editing mode by any method it reverts to yellow. How can I change this? It's really annoying as I'm working with symbols with a lot of yellow in at the moment.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only in editing mode? 

Or in the normal view too?

(Perhaps you are working on a "yellow" layer in the document? Please show a screenshot.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - no, it's not a yellow layer - here the layer's purple. I draw a squiggle, make it a symbol, go to edit the symbol and its outline is yellow. I can select the symbol and change its 'select color' but it always reverts to yellow. 'Symbol Editing Mode' in the layers palette seems to have a top level yellow colour! But in the menu 'Options for Symbol Editing Mode' is greyed out.

grb.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add one thing, the 'select colour' is same as the layer when I am not editing the symbol, which is as I would expect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any ideas? I have investigated further and have worked out this - it's a different colour, apparently randomly chosen, across different files I've used in the past with symbols in them. Also, if I am saving multiple versions of a document eg file_1, file_2 etc, it sometimes but not always changes the default colour between them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @whatsourvectorvictor?,

Thank you for providing additional details about the issue you're experiencing with the select color of symbols in Illustrator. It's indeed strange behavior, and I understand how it can be frustrating. Would you mind sharing a few details for further investigation:

• Could you please confirm the exact version of Illustrator you're using (28.2 or 28.3), as well as your operating system (Windows 10), build no.? This information will help in narrowing down the potential causes of the problem.

• If possible, could you share a couple of sample Illustrator files where you're experiencing this issue? This will allow us to examine the files directly and see if we can replicate the problem on our end.

• Have you noticed if this issue occurs consistently in all documents, including new ones, or is it specific to certain files? Creating a new document and testing whether the problem persists might help determine if it's file-specific or a more general issue.

• Can you recall when you first noticed this problem occurring? Was it after a specific update to Illustrator, or has it been present for a longer period? Knowing the history of the issue could provide valuable insight into its root cause.

By gathering this information, we'll be better equipped to diagnose and troubleshoot the issue effectively. Once we have more details, we can explore potential solutions or workarounds to resolve the problem.

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2024 Mar 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and thank you for your reply

I'm on Illustrator 28.3 , Windows 10 Pro version 22h2 build 19045.4046

The issue really seems to be that there is no option to change the outline colour of a symbol when editing rather than an intermittent bug. It's like the option has been left out.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @defaulttav7q66m4fka,

I understand that this functionality is important to you, and I apologize for its unavailability at this time. Would you mind creating a UserVoice for this feature request (https://adobe.ly/43789HW) and adding your comments there? Doing this will help us prioritize this request, and you will be notified of any updates.

Feel free to reach out if you have more questions or need assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, I will do that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines