• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

El Capitan update seems to have broken my right click just in Illustrator.... Any help would be appreciated

Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2015 Oct 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any thoughts?

I was working in .ai all day then decided (probably incorrectly) to update to El Capitan.  Upon restart the issue started.

All other Apps work fine, Photoshop right click for instance.  I have shutdown/restarted/zapped user prefs/updated Illustrator....

thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Hello,

We have fixed this issue in our latest CC 2015.2 update. Please apply the patch using Adobe Creative Cloud application.

If you do not see the patch right away

1. Go to Adobe Creative Cloud application
  2. Click on the Gear icon on the top right
  3. From the menu select “Check for App Updates”

Regards,

Ashutosh Chaturvedi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this small suggestion helped me be able to fix the issue. Still pretty new to Mac, but a long time Illustrator user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with Premiere Pro CC2015. Nothing of the described solutions here really helps,

Reinhard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2015 Oct 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that deleting the WSMgrCfg file brings back right click. Does anyone know what that file does?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify, you may want to edit your answer to specify that the file is in ~/Library/... (i.e., the user library), not in /Library/ (the root library)... There is a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that clarification. I was looking all over for the folder and couldn't find it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have restored my sanity. Thank you! Too bad adobe couldn't help us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2015 Nov 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! This worked like magic. I'm not used to messing with Library files at all, and the step by step really helped out. Thanks to everyone who came up with this response. Also, thanks for the "~Library" tip. I thought my folder structure was broken for a bit. You're all just the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2015 Nov 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3. where it says "Folder action receives files and folders added to" choose the folder WSMgrCfg (found in library/preferences/adobe...19/en_us/WSMgrCfg)

in the point 3 when I click "add" I can't find the folder "Library" because El Capit hides that folder.

How I can select that folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am out of the office until 30/11/2015.

He may respond to your message when he returns.

Note: This is an automated response to your message "[Illustrator] El

Capitan update seems to have broken my right click just in Illustrator....

Any help would be appreciated" sent on 27.11.2015 15:45:44.

This is the only notification you will receive while this person is away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The automator "fix" for this is more complicated.

Quit everything.  Hold down the OPITON key, and click on the GO menu.   Library will show.

find the preferences folder..then inside that the adobe illustrator 19 folder, then the en_us folder  and finally you'll see the WSMgrCfg folder.

this is how that drill down path is noted.

library/preferences/adobe...19/en_us/WSMgrCfg

empty the contents of the WSMgrCfg folder.

go back up one level to see the WSMgrCfg folder.. click once.. then apple/I or Get Info from the File menu will open up a window that will allow you to set the Privileges to READ ONLY.

close everything.. and it's fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This method looks intersting!

I hope it will work, I get crazy with this bug.

I contacted many times the official Adobe assistence without a solution.

I hope this way will work. I'll update you, thanks ))))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am out of the office until 30/11/2015.

He may respond to your message when he returns.

Note: This is an automated response to your message "[Illustrator] El

Capitan update seems to have broken my right click just in Illustrator....

Any help would be appreciated" sent on 27.11.2015 17:36:51.

This is the only notification you will receive while this person is away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2016 Feb 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much ! You saved my time and mental health !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2015 Oct 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jesse,

I have the same problem as you.

I asked about it in my own thread and also found another member asking about it too, so you are not alone.

It seems that the most likely problem is something to do with additional displays, like you have already mentioned.

I currently have to work without one of them plugged in.

Found no solution to it yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2015 Oct 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.

When I unplugged my second monitor, I could right click. Then, as soon as I plugged my second screen back-in, it stopped working. It has something to do with the GPU and El Capitan.

Does Adobe know about this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2015 Oct 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jesse, others,

You may try to update the ElCapitan 10.11 build to 15A284 and see wether it solves the issue. First posted by Rama here:

Re: Right Click doesn't work at all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 20, 2015 Oct 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have it showing up on several of our retina macbook pros.  All are running el capitan and two macs are nvidia based while the other is raedon based.   One was a clean build, new os and fresh install of creative cloud.   I have found like most of us that deleting the preferences will work for 1 launch.

We all run multiple monitors and when we remove all the monitors,  the menu starts working again without relaunching illustrator.   If I add back a monitor connected to display port is usually keeps working, but if I add my other HDMI connected monitor the problem comes back. I am starting to think that it might be drawing the menu off screen with some glitch causing it to interpret the desktop dimensions wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to add that it seema I don't have to delete all the illustrator preference items to get the right click back.  It appears that I just need to delete the file... /Users/current_user/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator 19 Settings/en_US/WSMgrCfg/WSMgrCfg

I ended up creating an Automator folder acton to delete the file automatically every time it gets created and that seems to work for me so far.   It looks like that file might help keep the last window arrangement cached on illustrators shutdown.  I am guessing it is saving a bad value due to some incompatibility with El Capitan and multiple monitors that confuses illustrator on the next launch.  Deleting that file seems to be the most painless workaround for me until adobe/apple fixes it correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input. Hope it helps the engineers find a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 29, 2015 Oct 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the temporary fix. This worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2015 Oct 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. Yea!

Thanks,

Gabe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2015 Oct 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for finding this work around. I hope they come up with a fix for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2015 Nov 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather than mucking about with automator, I found it's much easier to prevent the directory being written to in the first place!

1. Right click the 'WSMgrCfg' folder, select 'Get info'
  2. Open 'Sharing and permissions'
  3. Change the permissions on your user account to 'Read only'.
  4. Enjoy life with working context menus

Just remember to change it back to 'Read & Write' once Adobe gets around to publishing a fix...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines