• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Eraser tool , erase but disorts resulting lines, why?

Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This above is the line before using eraser tool, below the same after having used it

Is there a way to avoid this distortion?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, that is an unfortunate side-effect of the "Eraser" tool. You can use the "Scissor" tool, instead, to cut out a portion of the line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Sir! Scissor is a more precise tool, but you can only cut line by line. Instead i need to cut several line at once. Eraser tool seemed to be the easiest and quick way at the moment, but not practicable because of these distortions.

Most of the drawing i have are a result of a 3d cad modeling tools , there're plenty of line to manage when importing from ".step" or ".dxf".

Furthermore due to bugs on clipping mask tool (there's a lot of discussions here about this item/bug) let's say ...I'm obligated to cut some way the drawings i have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the strokes were "Expanded" you could using the Knife tool (holding "Option" to constrain to straight line).

KnifeTool.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! Thank you!

How can I then "return" the remaining trasformed lines as they were previously so to manage them as "normal" lines?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Does your version of Illustrator have the Shape Builder tool? If yes, I'd recommend to use it to cut the stroked paths.

Using the Shaper tool (it's not the same as the Shape Builder tool) would also be a possible way, but its behaviour is sometimes a bit cumbersome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines