• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error "The Dimension of this page are out of range"

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2008 Jan 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help me with this error i continue to get while attempting to save my work in Illustrator CS3

"Acrobat PDF Format is having difficulties. The dimension of this page are out of range"

The original artwork was massive so i figured it could have been because of the size. I scaled the artwork down by 70% but got the same message. I then created a new document which was A3 in size, I copied the artwork over to the new A3 doc in a single layer but the error still continues.

I have never seen this kind of error before and i cannot work out how to solve the issue - I need to save this work!

Please help
TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 6 Correct answers

New Here , Apr 15, 2008 Apr 15, 2008
Hi,

I have a similar problem with a page with 5400 mm width. I have no Crop Selection on the page.
Every time I try to save as a PDF an error message pops up: "Acrobat PDF file Format is having difficulties. The dimensions of this page are out-of-range."

I tryed to reduce the page dimensions until it worul let me save as a PDF file.
With a 5050 mm widht the PDF could be saved. So I must conclude the PDF must have a widht (and hight) limit to be able to export.

My "solution" was to reduce th...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Hey guys - I never had an issue doing billboard layouts, but just found this thread after searching this error while trying to create a PDF of a 3-page letter sized (8.5" x 11") document. The problem was a tiny dot of a page created in error at some point - I could barely see it without zooming in. Rather than too large, the page in the document was too small. If anyone finds this in the future, take a look - your problem may be solved as easily as finding and deleting an erroneous page in your

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Solved by creating a file new, copying the content from the previous file and save this new one as pdf. If it was a tiny artboards issue, it could have been simple though, but there weren`t any))

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Hi- THE fix for this issue:

Save as

In the dialogue box, uncheck "Create PDF compatible file"

Save should now save with no error message. Works 100% of the time for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Just in case nothing here worked, I was trying to save a pdf out of Illustrator, I kept getting page out of range. could not figure what it was. Well turns out to be a stray artbox that I did not see that was causing it. I got rid of the stray artbox and everything went back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

UPDATE  do not delete the large artboard or the canvas will shrink again.  Just  change you page range when you save as a PDF

Solution:  Create a NEW Document in Illustrator and NEW Art board 2x larger than you need.   EXAMPLE 5500 mm are need make the 11000 mm.    Then create a new Art board at change it to the correct size you desire.   

Add Artwork. Save as PDF.  Problem Solved

You will notice the background Canvas area is at the 11000 mm size.  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2008 Jan 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Corey,

Are you sure there is no outlying artwork (or something else, more likely)? A Ctrl+A would reveal it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2008 Feb 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check if there is a selection with the crop tool (Shift-O Tool). Probably the whole area is selected, which causes the error. Select page should solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without trying to sound thick I am having this same issue but am unsure how I select page. I have tried apple D to deselect but no joy. Please help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2008 Mar 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to verify charangos' solution. Phantom crops on the page are the problem. Just follow his advice Thanks for the tip.
G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did the shift- O and it selected the art board. but still said the dimensions are out of range. could you help me please. I have a huge project due tomorrow. id be very greatful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2008 Apr 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a similar problem with a page with 5400 mm width. I have no Crop Selection on the page.
Every time I try to save as a PDF an error message pops up: "Acrobat PDF file Format is having difficulties. The dimensions of this page are out-of-range."

I tryed to reduce the page dimensions until it worul let me save as a PDF file.
With a 5050 mm widht the PDF could be saved. So I must conclude the PDF must have a widht (and hight) limit to be able to export.

My "solution" was to reduce the size to 50%, save the PDF and inform the printer of this reduction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow  You are lifesaver! Appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maximum of 5050mm was the key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Pedro, this was the perfect solution. It would have helped if Adobe just said documents greater than 5050mm won't save to PDF, then I would have known instead of wasting hours looking for a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please pin this solution!!! Such a life saver oh my goodness!! Thank you a million!!!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why are you guys using mm as the dimensions? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why are you guys using mm as the dimensions? 

By @hoodroki

Because metric is the standard in most parts of the world.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me, too! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too. I just edited my document to under 5050mm Square and saved as PDF
Thank you for the answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2008 Jun 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+++ thank you charango. you solved the problem i have been stressing about for the last half hour, yay~!!! :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2015 Oct 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here... No outlying artwork.

Please do not ask me to scale, it will cause problems

ADOBE, WHERE ARE YOU?

YOU DINOSAURS.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2015 Oct 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Koen,

can you try to explain what your problem is?

Screen dumps with everything selected will help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had NOTHING outside the "range" and was only trying to save smaller dimension work but was still getting this error when I was trying to save (tried different formats - .ai, .eps, & .pdf - error every time.) I couldn't figure it out but then I just started trying random things, I unlocked all my layers and moved the entire art board over a bit. I then tried saving (with the art board selected) as .ai and I unchecked "include linked files" & "embed ICC profiles" and it worked! I don't know if it was just a temporary glitch (I had left them unsaved overnight and came back in the morning to try again) or if any of these tips could help someone out there in a similar situation, give them a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2015 Nov 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a solution to this yet? I've checked everything above. I've resized my artwork to half size same with artboard, page is still out of range. Weird thing is it was saving fine all day yesterday now I make 2 stoke changes and suddenly I'm locked out from saving my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2015 Nov 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have the same problem - saving out a super long doc that was bigger than the canvas, shrunk it down, and regardless of how much I shrink it down it still gives me an out of range error and wont let me save the work. Any help Adobe? Loyal Illustrator user for over 20 years. Feeling frustrated. Screens dumps at your request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2015 Dec 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens to me too. But if I choose to save it without bleeds, the artwork is saved without any problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2015 Dec 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDiT: This happens as the artwork sizes are large enough. I chose to save with bleeds but without crop marks and it was saved fine. My artboard was 506x35.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Adobe understand that designers use Illustrator and InDesign to create BILLBOARDS? Why do vector layout and illustration programs need to have canvas size limits smaller than a billboard? The larger issue at hand is that no one should have to be creating artwork at 50%, 33% etc., and then having to explain to their printer that it needs to be blown up 200%. This is absurd and would be easy for Adobe to solve. NINE YEARS AND NOTHING DONE ABOUT THIS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with ShaneH please let us have whatever size we want, this is a vector program!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines