• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error: "The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error [NOKY]" in Illustrator

Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the message I get when I try to scale an object in Illustrator 25.3.1 when I try to scale an object.

Mac OS 11.4.

What is the fix for this? I use Illustrator professionally, and can't afford for it to simply refuse to perform straightforward tasks.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 5 Correct answers

New Here , Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021
I ended up uninstalling and reverting back to 2020 versions and I havent
had problems! Both in photoshop and illustrator!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

I selected the object I was having trouble with and hit the Object: Expand Appearance and it solved the problem. Might help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

I figured it out for my project. (Someone suggested it earlier in the discussion.)

I'm using: iMac-M1chip, macOS Monterey 12.3.1/illustrator 26.2.1

>Window>Transform> uncheck 'Scale Strokes & Effects'

Now I can Shift + drag to scale my grouped objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

I found that only *some* objects / layers of illustrator art files were (no other word I can come up with other than "corrupted").  I ended up recreating thoses objects / layers from scratch and the entire art is now scalable with no issues.

FYI: I did not upgrade or downgrade software, just tested until I found the objects that would not scale dues to the noky error.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

My solve was to rasterize the layer I needed to scale, I don't need to edit this art so this work around worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about the trouble. I would request you to please share the details as asked above. It would help us investigate the issue and assist you all accordingly.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, very frustrating as slowing down my design work, need to fix "NOKY" 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up uninstalling and reverting back to 2020 versions and I havent
had problems! Both in photoshop and illustrator!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I selected the object I was having trouble with and hit the Object: Expand Appearance and it solved the problem. Might help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expanding the appearance totally loses the path though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Anshuk, I want to take a second and let you know while trouble shooting this NOKY error everyone has started haveing with the latest updates it that it appears to be a "Legacy Gaussian Blur issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Tpierce,

Thanks for letting us know that. I would request you share the file with legacy gaussian blur with me. So, I can forward it to the product team, and they can properly investigate the issue.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue in Illustrator 26.0.2 on Mac Big Sur 11.5.2 (both fresh installs)

That error pops-up when scaling items.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @AWPresley,

Sorry to hear about this. Could you please share a few more details like:

• Does this happen while working on a specific file?
  • Does this error occur while working on an old file or a new one?
  • Does this happen while scaling/ moving a particular object/ layer?
  • Would it be possible for you to share this file with us here or via DM?

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!  I also ran into this issue today when a customer sent over their logo.  Its definitely that legacy effect for me thats causing the issue as well.  The way I got around it was to place the logo into my design file but have it embedded, not linked.  Hopefully that helps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAME!!

If there's a workaround to this issue, sure would appreciate someone sharing it. 

I'm sure there are many more experiencing this that aren't commenting here and Illustrator help people are giving us the Comcast Customer Service cut and paste response. Is anyone over there at Adobe interested in fixing this??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Continuing this conversation in hopes of a solution. It's March 2022 and we're on Illustrator 26.1. 

I'm adding myself to the list of users that is having this unknown error [NOKY] issue. The same as others here, it happens when trying to scale a object that has a legacy effect gaussian blur. 

The only work arounds to date are to:

• Revert back to a earlier version of Illustrator, be sure to save all of your projects back to the earlier version beforehand. 

• Expand the object, rendering the effect uneditable.

• Deleting the Legacy effect from the object and applying the current version of gaussian blur. Sadly, If you have a project which has legacy effects used extensively then your in for a long night updating them.

Until this issue is fixed could there be a script made that globally updates all objects in your project file using legacy effect gausian blur to the current gaussian blur effect?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post bugs & feature requests to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the NOKY scaling issue today in Illustrator 26.1.

Luckily it was quite a simple object that I was working with.

I narrowed it down to examining the "Appearance" of one particular object in the "Appearance" window. There was an effect called "3D and Materials" that was listing although it wasn't visible (didn't have eye next to it). I clicked on this and then the bin icon (in this pane) and then all was good!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out for my project. (Someone suggested it earlier in the discussion.)

I'm using: iMac-M1chip, macOS Monterey 12.3.1/illustrator 26.2.1

>Window>Transform> uncheck 'Scale Strokes & Effects'

Now I can Shift + drag to scale my grouped objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's Works!!!! THANK YOU:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am having this same issue too, its not even a complicated document - literally only just started working on it its such a pain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me esta pasando lo mismo! Ai 26.1 + mac os 11.6 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having this issue, scaling a logo with a legacy gaussian blur applied. Not sure why this is an "unknown error" as it has a very clear known cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that only *some* objects / layers of illustrator art files were (no other word I can come up with other than "corrupted").  I ended up recreating thoses objects / layers from scratch and the entire art is now scalable with no issues.

FYI: I did not upgrade or downgrade software, just tested until I found the objects that would not scale dues to the noky error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2024 Apr 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is sad. Adobe should be fixing this so that people do not have to recreate their work from scratch. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is in the newest version, if you uninstall and go back to 27.3.1 and that will solve your Select all problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2024 Apr 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So sad for everyone to have to deal with these issues, going back to old software to resolve problems that Adobe does not fix. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solve was to rasterize the layer I needed to scale, I don't need to edit this art so this work around worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines