• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error while opening Ai files: "This text was created in a different version of Illustrator"

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there something I am doing incorrectly? I just updated my CC today and upon opening recently made files, I received this message. Does anyone know how to get around this issue—or is it an issue?

Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 4.08.56 PM.png

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Libby,

Thanks for reaching out. Could you please confirm if you have updated the CC app or Illustrator? Which OS and version of Illustrator you are working on? These messages appear when we try to open a file created in an older version of Illustrator on the comparatively newer version.

Generally, it should not make any changes. You may try creating a backup of the file for a safer side and then try to open the file again and when you get this message please click on OK and see if things are fine.

Regards
Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated earlier that day to Catalina 10.15 and then CC wanted me to update. I'm running on Illustrator 23.1.1

I back up all my files, but since moving to the CC, I have had a really big issue with fonts. Mainly opening old client files, where they need revisions, and none of the fonts load nor tell me what they were. I've been able to squeak by with outlined art files.  But I know one day this will catch up with me. If there is a remedy for this, please share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
Me to I'm having the same message opening an AI file today.
I see your post is recent from last months.

I'm on OS 10.12.6

AI 23.11

I believe my file was created in a slightly earlier version using some Type Kit fonts.
Have you found any fix for this ?

I'm currently trying to reinstall and older version of AI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly is "slightly earlier version"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Please try following instructions provided on similar discussion at https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/quot-this-type-was-created-in-a-different-version-quot-er...
Let us know if it helps you out.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2023 Jul 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator Text on a Path Issue.JPG

Apparently, Adobe hasn't fixed this issue. Just created this today. Illustrator version 27.7. Text disappears just magnifying, moving vector art close to it, or just opening and its gone. I've made a safe layer and even that disappeared. Can I have my Freehand back? 🙂 

Seriously, Adobe has been in an update frenzy of late. Maybe that's the problem. If Adobe has had this problem since 2019, clearly, they are not addressing existing issues. Take a breath, Adobe, and fix existing problems for your customers who pay a lot for this software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just saved and opened the file again and this is what I have. 

Illustrator Text on a Path Issue2.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And how is this supposed to look?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2023 Jul 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

Just text on a circular path that says "ask me about". The glitch also affects text anywhere around the path that’s not on a path. That text is under the drop and it disappeared when I moved it there. Never had this issue before. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled illustrator.  Still have the problem and the error message. Its not my hardware – intel I7 3.80GHz 8 core – 64 gig ram – nvidea geforce 3070. The thing is I got like 5 t-shirts I have to get out today and this is really getting in the way.Illustrator Text on a Path Issue3.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2023 Jul 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gave up on Illustrator. Just producing it in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just ran into the same issue with text on a path, but it seems reselecting the line with the type tool fixed the issue for me. It's just a pain that you have to select each path seperately to fix them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind my previous comment, came back to the file today and it is now giving me the same error after I had fixed them yesterday and resaved as a new file.

I just ran a test with the prefs reset and a clean install of the most current version(27.7). I created a completely new file on this version with multiple different font styles and different ways of placing the text. I saved the new file, completely closed AI, and then reloaded the file. Even though this file was created on the same version of AI that it is being opened on it still game the same error, but it seems to just be an issue only with text placed on a path. I then proceeded to uninstall AI, reinstalled the previous version (27.6.1), loaded up the test file and no error popped up with the text on a path. So it seems for now if you want to use text on a path you have to stick with version 27.6.1 until this issue is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing the exact same issue as @Nightshde v2 and @Kevin5FA4. Only occurs with text on paths, version 27.7. Still occurs after resaving to different file or deleting and recreating text on path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2023 Jul 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm it's a bug in version 27.7 as I experienced the exact same issue only for texts on paths.

Revert back to 27.6.1 fixed this immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nightshde v2  schrieb:

but it seems to just be an issue only with text placed on a path. 

I cannot reproduce that error with text on a path in version 27.7

If you want to report this as a bug, please do so in https://illustrator.uservoice.com

The engineers do not read this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error doesn't happen all the time. I've been working on a new file with text on paths for four days. Just occured. Will send bug report. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying. After I uninstalled it and reinstalled again, I still got the same error. After that reinstall, however, I clicked on the path and the text was there and editable. I should have been more responsive on the issue. Since that time, I updated my Nvidia driver but still have the same issue with Illustrator BUT I can click the path, and all is there. It just keeps disappearing and when you are showing clients it’s just an annoyance that a large corporation like Adobe can fix. Its embarrassing when it doesn't show or has a funky redraw until you click the path. Just save a pdf to show the clients because while live in Illustrator their attention is on the error, not the work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, same issue / bug here

OS Windows 10 and 11

Illustrator version 27.7

After designing and saving the Illustrator file, everything seems normal.

Once I reopen the Illustrator file, then the text that has been placed on a curve (Type on a Path) disappears.

This has happened in different working files of mine

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/text-on-path-curve-bug/m-p/13967022#M374838

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines