for the last few days I have been quite happily editing and running an Extendscript script in Illustrator through VS Code and the Extendscript debugger.
But now the button in the status bar which I use to run the script ("Evaluate in ....") has disappeared (I can't remember exactly what the wording is) and it's driving me nuts as I can't use VS Code at all. I can run the script directly in illustrator, so that's working, but doesn't give me any of the useful information.
Any clever ideas? I can't work out what I've done & desperately need the 'evaluate' button back!!
Hi @WaveRiderX, do you have the debug panel visible? Are you using an Apple silicon processor? If so, you need to run VSCode in "Rosetta mode". Do you see any error messages appear (may be in bottom right of window) when launching VSCode? Does your launch.json look okay? (cmd-shift-P/ctrl-shift-P and type "launch").
Hi, thanks for your response! much appreciated. Yes, using an M1 machine, but I am running it through Rosetta. Debug panel is visible and no error messages. The launch.json file looks fine and is attaching to illustrator fine.
UPDATE: I have worked out that I can run the script through the control panel (cmd-shift-P) and selecting ExtendScript: Evaluate script in attached host, and everything works as it should. So that's a relief as I thought I couldn't run the scripts at all. So it seems as if it's just that the buttons to evaluate (and halt) have disappeared from the status bar. Not the end of the world now I can actually run the scripts. But I'd still like to know what I've done to make it disappear!
You might try reinstalling the extension to see if that restores the functionality. Barring that, you might also look through the extension's section of the Settings (User/Workspace) to see if anything's been modified there.
Thanks -- this is the only extension I have installed, and there are no errors. I've tried re-installing both VS Code and the extension to no avail. It is working fine through the control panel, so I assume it's picking up the right file types (.jsx here).
It's a real mystery that the buttons have gone, but at least I can run everything OK through the control panel -- when I posted originally I thought I couldn't run anything.