• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Expand 3D object without rasterization?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to Object/Expand the new 3D and Materials effects to a vector object? All I'm getting is a raster, which is no good. I want to recolor and adjust parts of the 3D object after the fact. A raster image is useless.

With the old "3D Classic" effects you could expand the effect to get a vector equivalent. It wasn't perfect but  it would output the simulated 3D effect in vector shapes you could then work with as needed. Even if you had to merge a few pieces, it was perfect if you wanted an accurate 3D perspective or extrude effect but also wanted to manipulate the color, gradient or shading of the various surfaces inpendently. This was ideal for creating stylish, cleaner 3D effects without any unwanted extra shading or gradients.

With the new 3D and Materials (which I assume will completely displace the "Classic" version eventually) all I get is a raster image when I try to expand it. This feels like a major step backwards. It would be nice to at least have the option for how we want to expand the object.

Am I missing something? Is there a setting somewhere? Is there a way to expand without rasterization with the updated 3D effects?

TOPICS
Feature request , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not posible to expand the new 3D without rasterization. I suppose you could use Image Trace to convert the raster object to vector. 

Hopefully, the Classic version will not be replaced because, after all, Illustrator is supposed to be a vector program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi LangeDsn,

look into Illustrator UserVoice. The 3D feature is in constant development.

You can do your own feature requests or add your voice to a feature requests. You could report bugs as well:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/

More specific:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/935607-illustrator-features-coming-soon/suggestions/4474196...

Or get more involved and join Illustrator Prerelease:

How to Join Creative Cloud Prerelease Programs
Erin Finnegan, Oct 18, 2019, UPDATE July 24th, 2020

https://medium.com/adobetech/how-to-join-creative-cloud-prerelease-programs-ccecc10ae7d3

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator 2024 is a complete disaster, a collection of mistakes. This rasterization in a vector program makes NO sense at all. 

What were these people thinking?! Not to mention the ungrouping nightmare....Hard to believe they put this out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BrunoAMC  schrieb:

Illustrator 2024 is a complete disaster, a collection of mistakes. This rasterization in a vector program makes NO sense at all. 

What were these people thinking?! Not to mention the ungrouping nightmare....Hard to believe they put this out. 

So many raster effects in the application. So what's the problem with this one?

The classic 3D effects are still there and you can use them. Just go ahead with it.

And the Ungrouping - you might want to elaborate. Preferably in a new thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 3D features in Adobe Illustrator are pretty basic. They're good for quick and dirty faux 3D effects in graphics projects. It's also common for renders of 3D models to essentially be 2D raster-based images. That's what you'll get in a full fledged 3D modeling/animation application. Adobe Illustrator will probably never be a work-able replacement for any real 3D modeling application. Adobe Dimension can do more than the 3D tools within Illustrator (I'd like Adobe Dimension more if it could actually import artwork without making me want to tear my hair out in frustration). Applications like Blender can do far more than that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometime I use "Render as Vector" feature in Render Panel and than use Expand, but it depends on model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue. What a major flaw for illustrator. I need to revolve logos for sign renderings, and it just makes a blurry raster version, so not only can I not change the color, it is low quality/ugly. Illustrator should stay vector.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you need logos for sign rendering,then use the Classic effects.

Raytracing is a raster based process. The new materials are inherently raster based. It is not possible to generate that as vector artwork.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines