• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Expand appearance greyed out in Illustrator

Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2019 Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am following a tutorial. One of the steps is to expand appearance. However this option is greyed out and I do not know why. I am following to a "T" and I cannot access expand appearance. help!!

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expand appearance is only active when there is an appearance (an effect, a brush or anything else which is special). There probably is none, so you might want to tell us what exactly you have and what you want to achieve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I drew a circle, colored it orange, then created a 45º pie shape. From there I wanted to expand the appearance before adding an offset path. This is where expand appearance was greyed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you created the pie shape how? By using the shape widgets? So far there is nothing you need to expand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, by going to shapes and selecting 45º. I am following a YouTube tutorial and this is exactly how she is doing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Skip the expanding appearance. It isn't necessary to do that step to offset the path. But, if you feel you need to expand, then choose "expand" and don't worry about "expand appearance" being greyed out. You can then complete the rest of the tutorial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2019 Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an appearance of some sort applied to the ellipse, as we can see in the layers panel. But we have no way of telling what it is or why is there from that video. It doesn't need to be, certainly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your valuable input.  Happy 2022!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pat,

Thanks for reaching out. I would request if you can try these steps:

• Create a Circle
  • Select the Circle and click on Shape on top 
  • Change the Pie End Angle to 45
    clipboard_image_1.png
  • Without touching anything on the Artboard or screen, go to Edit >  Expand experience. Take a look at this GIF.
    user issue.gif

For more details you can also take a look at this help article: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/grouping-expanding-objects.html

Let us know if that helps or if you have any further query.

Regards,

Srishti

Illustrator - Expand Appearance Order Matters Learn why the order in which you apply effects when you use Expand and Expand Appearance in Illustrator matters to the results. If you want stroked lines from the design you need to watch the order in which you apply effects or you'll find you have ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I'm trying to make an isometric typography but it's not letting me expand appearance.  
https://youtu.be/r4i24O_RqLU

I am following this link step to step and it's not letting me expand apparently someone help.

This Adobe Illustrator tutorial will take you through to the step-by-step process of creating an isometric text effect, which features three-dimensional type combined with vibrant colours to produce a fun vector art style. Adobe Illustrator is the perfect tool to create such an effect; the 3D ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version do you use and do you use the 3D (Classic) option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

omg same! It's not working I tried both updated and classic and it will expand, but it donsn't break it down into separated shapes....will post back if I figure it out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you... its so weird! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

so, so far I just went ahead and created outlines first. then did the classic 3d, moved it around to where i wanted it and THEN expanded...idk seemed to work for me....at least this time lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines