• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting an artboard as a raster file.

Contributor ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I export an artboard as a raster file, the dialogue box opens with settings, one of which is resolution. Resolution is a measure of pixels per linear unit. If the document I am working on is entirely in pixels, it's not clear what resolution mean, since there are no linear dimensions.

In my opinion, it would have been much better here to have a pixel dimensions control in the export options, since this is what we are interested in when exporting for the graphics for web use.

Anyway, my question is, how do I use resolution here, for example, if I need my image to be 600 x 600 pixels?

TOPICS
Import and export , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Since a pixel does not have a fixed size, Illustrator has to define one to be able to work with them as units.

The size of a pixel in Illustrator is defined as 1/72 of an inch, the same as 1 point.

If you do not want to change the amount of pixels on export, use 72 ppi.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since a pixel does not have a fixed size, Illustrator has to define one to be able to work with them as units.

The size of a pixel in Illustrator is defined as 1/72 of an inch, the same as 1 point.

If you do not want to change the amount of pixels on export, use 72 ppi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How you would normally obtain a PNG that is exactly 600 x 600 using this export feature? What is the workflow for that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would create an artboard at 600 x 600 pt (or px) and export it at 72 ppi or with export for screens at 1x.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. That's what I did. I just need to chnage the ruler units to pixels...that's what I had missed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines