• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting as jpeg with use artboards adds to file name

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2010 Jul 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I export from Illustrator CS5 with "Use Artboards" checked it adds a "-01" to the end of my file name before the extention. I'm assuming that its because its artboard #1 or something. It happens with the all or the range button checked. It doesnt show the -01 when you are saving the file name. This is pretty annoying because I have to go back and re name the files when this happens. Any advice? Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Hi Everyone,

We have tried to fix this in Illustrator's latest beta build (v 26.4). We request you all to please download the build from the Beta section of the Creative Cloud Desktop app and share your observations here.

SrishtiBali_0-1652355669274.png

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

There has been a lengthy discussion going on here for a while from both sides, but mainly from people whose workflow has been negatively impacted by the change, so Adobe changed it back. Meanwhile they're supposedly going to be thinking of ways to satisfy both sides.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2010 Jul 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

with the introduction of multiple Artboard in CS4 , users had the flexibility of exporting or saving either artboard specific file or the master file( as if multiple  artboards are not present at all, Uncheck use artboard from export dialog to get the master file(legacy behavior)).

now if you export a multiple artboard file to JPEG with All/range selected you will get  the artboard specific files,

but to differentiate the files generated for specific artboards,  to make the users aware the artboard numbers gets added as suffix after the file name, other wise how would users know which file maps to which artboard.

Now Iin CS5 users have the flexibility to Rename artboards, select an artboard->dobule click on the artboard tool and rename the artboard in Artboard options dialog.

now once a custom name has been provided to the artboards, these custom names will get added instead of Artboard numbers as suffix after the file name. hope this helps

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2010 Jul 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you but I dont want to name the art board at all. I dont have multiple art boards on the file. The reason I am checking use artboards is to crop out all the extras that I have on my canvas that I want to save on the file but dont want to be exported with the jpeg. I used to use the crop area option with CS3. This worked perfectly, it only exported what was on my artboard and it saved it under the name that I had saved the file under (or whatever I typed in the file name to be). Is there a better way to do this? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2010 Oct 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, Gex.

Been trying to get this resolved for months with no joy. I have recently produced over 250 brand logos for a large multi national, all of which have to supplied in various formats and file types including .jpg. I too use only one artboard and since I don't want the logos cropped tight to the image, I check "use artboard" with the result that I get logoname-01.jpg on every file.

It may not seem to be too much of a sweat to then delete the offending -01 from the resulting file name, but when you have to do this repeatedly it is extremely tiresome... and so unnecessary!! I too do not want, or need, to append the file name with anything at all.

I really am at a loss to know why, if i have one artboard (AND ONLY ONE) it has to have a number at all. With 2 or more artboards, sure, it may be useful to identify each, but with 1... that is it, that is all there is. The only one. One of one. No more, no less. Very little chance of confusion i would have thought!

So, Adobe can we have a radio button (or preference) along the lines of: "add pasteboard number" or "remove pasteboard number" or perhaps a more enlightened soul at Adobe can respond with a workaround (unlikely, it is Adobe after all!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2011 Feb 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a soultion. If I open a file named AwesomeLogo.ai and then I name the art board what I want the JPG to be named (AwesomeLogo) The result when exporting using the artboard is AwesomeLogo_AwesomeLogo. Im right back to having to go in and physicaly change the file name. How does this help???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2011 Jan 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second (or third) the motion... allow us to turn off appending altogether! I think this is a common use of the export feature and the auto-append is irritating...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2011 Jan 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as a work around you could put a mask the size of your artboard before exporting. It can even be recorded as an action...as well as the exporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2011 Feb 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this problem been fixed? Adobe needs to address this as a serious problem. Its very frustrating when opening old files and reconverting JPGs. I thought the idea of upgrading is to enable the user to be more proficient, not the other way around. Just saying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2011 Mar 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not ideal, but I use NameMangler to batch rename files. Saves a lot of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 29, 2011 Aug 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is very annoying problem and should be dealt with.

It is even impossible to overwrite previous files. For example If I export same file called illustration.jpg several times, I might get files named "illustration-01-01-01.jpg"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 29, 2011 Aug 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why aren't you using Save For Web for jpgs? Needing high res jpgs? Just curious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 31, 2011 Aug 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also need TIFFs, pictures in CMYK and images from artboards too large for saving for web.

In some cases it might be justified.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too, need more than a LoRes .jpg

I have to supply each logo (and to date i have completed 320+) as .pdf, .jpg (HiRes), .eps in CMYK, RGB, B/W and Hex.

Yes! there are workrounds, but they are clumsy and slow. There is a much simpler solution...just give us the option to not number artboards!

Simples!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can rearrange your artboards and the numberung will be updated. You can name your arrtboards as well butthe option to use artboard names when exporting artboards to tiffs. jpeg. png etc is  not there so I will make a feature request for this once again.

Maybe a team or  beta team member will noticd tbis tbreat and actual also make the request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2013 Jan 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2013 and I can't find a solution to this problem as the original post.

I have to export files to Hi Res Jpegs using ONE artboard which is the main document file anyway. I don't know other artboards. I have to keep deleting the "-01" from the name every time. Is there a way to turn this off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2013 Jan 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So frustrating! I still have found no answer to this problem and it is obviously beyond the capabilities of Adobe.

I only wish I knew how to write and apply JavaScript(?) code. I would have thought it a relitively simple task for someone that knows how?

Please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2013 Apr 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 05, 2014 Apr 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this been fixed or has anyone found a work around? 

This is extremely tedious.  I have a file that I export high res jpegs from, MUST use the artboard (to keep from the stuff off the artboard making the jpegs the wrong size) and use those jpegs to make notes on (in another Illustrator or IndDesign file).

I should be able to save over the old file, which would automatically update as a linked file in my notes.  But no, I have to manually delete old file and re-import to the notes!

Huge waste of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2014 May 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone at Adobe Actually look at this board?

Clearly this is a big annoyance, with a very small fix for a big company.

So lame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2014 Jun 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously beyond the competence of Adobe (as Steve Jobs suggested, "they are too lazy").
I have been using Name Mangler 3 and found it to be the best solution for this irritating problem

on a Mac.
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/name-mangler-3/id603637384?mt=12

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2016 Jun 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have been using 'Name Mangler' and found it really useful. It does what it says, no fuss, and quick.
100% recommended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 01, 2015 Apr 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it's April 2015. Has Adobe pulled its finger out and done anything about this stupid "interfere with your file names" feature that nobody likes?  It is driving me up the wall with frustration!  Incidentally, has Illustrator got a proper Arc tool that can draw the arc that the USER ACTUALLY WANTS, rather than the ridiculous 90 degree arc every time?

I have to ask because I am on CS6, and since I will never upgrade to Adobe's nasty CashCow rental scheme I will never find out if they bothered making any worthwhile changes in Illustrator CC (I very much doubt it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2015 May 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came here in hopes of a solution as well

I work with many artboards within my files. So for example when working on mobile apps I need a bunch of different sized icons 50x50 60x60 124x124 etc. They way I handle this is I have 1 illustrator file with 15 or so artboards. Each artboard is named with a specific name that the server accepts (with the name is different it will produce an error).

When it's time to export I only put in a "_" underscore in the name so all the names end up as __icon60 or __icon512 at the end i just rename each icon one at a time and remove the double underscore __

Not the ideal solution but it only takes 10-20 seconds per app to rename the icons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also came for a solution...

Sometimes to avoid the -01 (if I'm only using 1 art-board per file), I use Photoshop...File > Scripts > Image Processor... this will save everything in the folder you have selected to JPG format...Unfortunately when I use this method, it doesn't recognize the art-board and crops it to the edges of my work.

This -01 issue needs to be solved...it is completely unnecessary.

(separate issue, but if anyone knows how to get Photoshop to recognize the art-board when saving in this method, then my method is extremely better than deleting -01....)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2015 Aug 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Has this been changed yet? This entire process is bothersome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines