• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting jpeg in illustrator at 300dpi is 72 dpi when I open preview app on iMac.

Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi could someone please tell me why everything I have exported in illustrator at 300 dpi becomes 72dpi when I open the file in preview app on imac. I'm physically selecting 300 dpi in 'export as'. I need to send these off for fabric printing at 300 dpi jpeg. Is it really changing it to 72 dpi or should it be ok if I selected 300 dpi when exporting. Thank you. 

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, pdf is a good file for use in printing because maintains all original properties of your design you can use export for saving jpeg in 300 dpi.regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ali I need to use jpeg. That's what I did. I went to export as and saved as jpeg at 300 dpi. But when I opened it in preview app on Mac says it's 72 dpi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this photo you can see it says 72 pixels even though I exported at 300 dpi. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try opening it in Photoshop. or place it in Illustrator ans see what its effective resolution is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @shanice24820425yiyc,

Thanks for reaching out again. I have checked online on the Apple forum and found a 2014 thread in which many users have reported. You may ignore what is preview app is showing. I would suggest you check with the printing company and get the right colour profile, pixels (resolution) & size, which is more important.

Also, I thoroughly checked and found that the preview app shows the wrong dpi only with CMYK profile jpg with RGB profile JPG. It is showing the correct DPI. However, the resolution was the same in both CMYK & RBG colour profiles, so I know I used the correct DPI setting to export, which is the same in your case.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul I would have to check this to see if it happens to me too. I still need to set up a time for a call for the other issue I was experiencing with the pattern tool but it's been crazy here. I will get back to you in a couple of weeks to do that thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like Preview app does not give the correct info. Photoshop does as well as Illustrator when you place the jpeg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I placed the jpeg in photoshop and it was 300 dpi not 72dpi. Why is preview app not giving accurate dpi of jpegs made in illustrator? When I saved a jpeg in photoshop it showed me the accurate dpi in preview app. Also when I tried to place the jpeg in illustrator to check dpi I could not find it. I went to window- document info and 'resolution' wasn't there. Photo below . Thanks again 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why Preview does not show the correct ppi is a question for Apple.

In Illustrator you can see the ppi for selected images in the Links panel and in the Document Info when Linked or Embedded Images are selected in the menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ton. sorry took a while to get back to you. Document info doesn't show ppi when I select image . I've sent a photo. Also why does it say artboard is 49cm by 49cm when the artboard was 79 by 124cm when exported. In the photo it shows a black box being the artboard. Would this black box print? . I don't want it there. It only shows with jpeg exports thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also are pngs always exported as RGB colour mode even though created in CMYK. ? That's what's happening 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PNG files are always RGB because CMYK PNG's do not exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Document Info panel you can select from its menu what you want to display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this the dropdown menu you are referring to. I don't see where the resolution would be or ppi/dpi etc. also would the black artboard in jpeg photo sent previously print . It's not meant to be there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You need to select what you want to see in that panel.

Screenshot 2022-08-19 at 09.38.56.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is preview app not giving accurate dpi of jpegs made in illustrator?

By @shanice24820425yiyc

I'm wondering if there is anything that Preview app does correctly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if there is anything that Preview app does correctly?

By @Monika Gause

Converting PostScript and EPS to PDF (because it is using Adobe technology).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it can do the things from 1997? That's so edgy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe edgy, but correctly...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually 1993

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines