• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extra white space when I export images in Illustrator cs6

New Here ,
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I get rid of the white border around my images when I export? I have tried making a clipping mask but for some reason when I export to a picture format I get this weird white uneven border around the images that wasn't there before I exported it.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 21, 2016 Jul 21, 2016

When exporting images from illustrator, you must always select "Use Artboards" when the export dialogue pops up.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Engaged ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the feeling that a lot of ACP's etc still have a copy of Illustrator CS6 installed alongside the newest version to be able to so reliantly and positively answer so correctly. Either that, or all of you have excellent memories. My guess anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never use the "export selection" option in Illustrator for that reason.

When exporting, illustrator seems to export the entire area containing all content within the file, so that means unseen paths, points, text etc. Even if the object is made invisible in the layers panel. Thus, That extra space you are seeing probably indicates there is some sort of object hidden in that white space.   Try pressing Command+Y [Cntrl+Y] to view outlines. This will show you all the objects in your file. Additionally, the Object > Path > Clean Up tool works wonders for those who don't pay attention to the population and organization of their Layers Panel.

When exporting objects in clipping masks, it will factor in the objects hidden behind the clipping mask.

Therefore, I've found it BEST practice to use my artboards as my frame for the export, so I know EXACTLY what will be exported.

So for your instance, you can select the artwork, navigate to Object > Artboards > Fit to Selected Art

Hope this was helpful.  Feel free to reach out with additional questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mariamineosuppliersimkad   & hooplife, see if that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Justin. I understand what you're saying and there are times I forget to clean up those stray, unseen elements. I was trying to "Use Artboards" and couldn't find the option. My problem was merely that I was exporting with the window wide open instead of in the more compact version in which the option to "Use Artboards" is there. I never even realized it's not there when the export window is fully open. But cleaning up those tidbits is something that's easily forgotten.Justin@Philamedia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your suggestion of using Ctrl Y was enlightening !!!  so many mystery lines and boxes that I didn't know were there.  thank you so much, it solved my export selection issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, Justin! This was exactly my issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried everything you've suggested and I'm JUST getting white space on the right side of my SVG.
I don't understand. :' ) There are no objects/paths/points anywhere outside of the artboard. Everything is very clean. 

I've tried to save out in every possible way that I can save out an SVG and nothing seems to be working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Selecting "Artboards" option on the export as dialogue box, I couldn't get rid of a white line until I realized that the dimensions were not integers. (the document was 834.8 px x 1080 px, apparently the white line appeared on the left side) Now that I adjusted the document dimensions as integers, I am able to export raster images hassle-free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a new solution for those that couldn't fix it yet
When you are exporting click on the advanced options icon and then select Background color to transparent and that's it
It worked for me 🙏1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines