• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extract Embedded Images…did you know that…

LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2009 Jul 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there is actually a feature in Illustrator to do this even though it is not called Extract Images?

Not only that once you extract the image you can update it as well  you do not have to lace it again and reposition it.

When I saw this and realize it was there I could not believe it as it has been asked so many times and there have been numerous work arounds.

The reason I think it has passed everyone by is that it is not located in the links panel.

So to the chase.

Edit>Edit Image

and then

Edit>Update Image

The former opens the embedded image in Photoshop

edit it there and then save it

then back in Illustrator go to the latter and it will be updated.

Never noticed this before.

The only draw back is that it seems to only work on one image at a time.

I wonder how many users here knew about this little feature?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 25, 2010 Aug 25, 2010

The really cool part is linked images can be edited by Option-Double-Clicking, just like Indesign.

Doug,

http://www.astutegraphics.com/

Great plug in.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2012 Feb 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Adobe illustrator should have this feature included in the later versions. I wouldn't be happy to first buy an adobe suite, and then for a small tiny feature I need to buy another 3rd party software or plugin. This is pathetic.

I'll second that. I just spent a couple of hours trying to figure out how to send an embedded image to Photoshop to edit it. After much time wasting it seems I am forced to conclude it's not possible. I find that astonishing. I have only just switched from Corel to Illustrator (CS5) and have found many things I like, but this a a glaring hole in the prtoduct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have saved the AI file with PDF Compatibility enabled, then just open the AI file in PS and check the images tab. This will allow you to open the embedded image in PS, modify and save it as a new file. Then just replace it in the original AI file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip. It's kind of a process to solve the problem, but it does solve it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2012 Feb 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not the genuine solution to the problem. It is just an industry standard for a design software. I don't know what is the reason for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Larry, I'm trying to get this tip to work but it won't for one file in particular. I have saved with PDF compatibility, but when I open the AI file in Photoshop and select images, nothing shows up. It's definitely an embedded image but I guess PS won't recognize it. Any ideas?

I've tried it with other files with embedded images and it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Send me an email address in a PM and I'll send you my email address. Maybe I can look at the file in question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be an image containing spot colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 23, 2012 Sep 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rijackson741 wrote:

I think Adobe illustrator should have this feature included in the later versions. I wouldn't be happy to first buy an adobe suite, and then for a small tiny feature I need to buy another 3rd party software or plugin. This is pathetic.

I'll second that. I just spent a couple of hours trying to figure out how to send an embedded image to Photoshop to edit it. After much time wasting it seems I am forced to conclude it's not possible. I find that astonishing. I have only just switched from Corel to Illustrator (CS5) and have found many things I like, but this a a glaring hole in the prtoduct.

Can't believe you didn't try Copy and Paste.

My tip above is something I have used cross-platform, cross-software for I believe 15 years or so.... more than likely longer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wazi9909 wrote:

OK... I'm just curious as to what is so hard about Copying the embedded image, go to Photoshop, choose New, making sure Clipboard is the right size, and depending on your illustration, that RGB or CMYK is chosen... then paste as pixels.

Save the Photoshop file. Then click on the picture in Illustrator and choose *Relink from the Control Bar or the Links panel, choosing the saved Photoshop file. Done. * This time remember to check "Link" at the bottom left of the open dialog.

@olpr1234: Great tip about saving many RGB pictures out using SVG!

@wazi9909 - re: your "pathetic" comment -- there are many problems and ommissions within Illustrator that were/are present in other software packages. Too bad this is just not one of them to be considered "pathetic". Try investing a little more time learning Illustrator and the assorted programs within the Suite.

As it relates to supporting plug-in developers for all Adobe products, but Astute Graphics in particular: you will never know the power of Illustrator unless you invest in their plug-ins! An absolute must for all power users or pro's that spend the major part of their day in Illy. I couldn't live without 'em.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DocPixel-BMW wrote:

OK... I'm just curious as to what is so hard about Copying the embedded image, go to Photoshop, choose New, making sure Clipboard is the right size, and depending on your illustration, that RGB or CMYK is chosen... then paste as pixels.

Copy and paste doesn't retrieve the original image.

Instead take the AI (it has to be saved with PDF compatibility) and open in Photoshop. Choose "Images" and then get out what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not? If AI handles the clipboard correctly, and I am sure it does, that should get the image into Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rijackson741 wrote:

Why not?

You will have trouble getting the original resolution in case the image has been scaled in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. That's a little surprising to me. I would have expected it to send it to the clipboard at the full resolutoin of the embedded image. It's useful to know that's not the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 24, 2012 Sep 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika Gause wrote:

rijackson741 wrote:

Why not?

You will have trouble getting the original resolution in case the image has been scaled in Illustrator.

Yes you're right about that, and it is the best way if you have the original Illustrator file with the embedded image.

In my defense, I'm mostly having to do this sort of thing with PDFs that are sent to me. Most cases I have to change something in the PDF or pull artwork out for another project we are working on. After opening the PDF in Illustrator, we then just copy the image and even paste it straight into an email (Mac) and request the original file. If the original is not to be had, we then paste the image into a new Photoshop file and relink it. If need be, we'll replace it with another image later.

@rijackson --- you most surely can "Relink"... well that's what the button you choose in Illustrator is called... even if the image is embedded. This will place the image in the exact same place and size as the embedded image, thus "linking" it if you checked the Link box when placing.

Also, you can always choose Link Information and see what transformations the image has went through regarding size and rotation. This is also with a native Illustrator file only. The information can be used to calculate what you need to do to the image to revert to it's original size and rotation. Rather unfortunate, because something intuitive like Freehand used to have, like changing the percentage and angle in the Appearance panel was far better and easier to revert images, embedded or linked.

@rijackson --- considering all of the features and functions that Illustrator still does not have or are incomplete... yes, Illustrator as a whole is pathetic as the only pro vector alternative on the market. Not just this one omission, which is easily worked around. That's what I was trying to say to wazi9909.

* I just thought it should be mentioned again, that Monika's correct answer only applies to a native Illustrator file if you have it, AND if you save with PDF Compatibility or as an Illustrator native PDF. With any and all other PDFs saved with a preset like for prepress... the images have been compressed, and will be as we call them "baked". No matter how you copy, paste, export or open, the resolution, size and quality is "finished".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2012 Sep 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rijackson --- you most surely can "Relink"... well that's what the button you choose in Illustrator is called... even if the image is embedded. This will place the image in the exact same place and size as the embedded image, thus "linking" it if you checked the Link box when placing.

You are right, you can indeed. Sort of, anyway. When the image is embedded, I see "embedded" on the toolbar. Only when I click on that do I get an option to relink. Then I can choose an image file, and "relink it". When I do that it does not replace the embedded image with a new embedded image though, it replaces the embedded image with a linked image. So "relink" is a misnomer (something cannot be relinked when it was not linked in the first place), and what it does with an embedded image is kind of dangerous, because the AI file is no longer independent of other files.

I can only compare AI to Corel. Now I have some experience with AI, overall, I prefer AI to Corel. In fact, my only real gripe at this point is this issue of editing embedded images. I should qualify that statement though. While I have a need for vector graphics, I am not a professional illustrator or artist, so there are many features I don't use. Also, I can only compare to CorelDraw 10, which is out of date, so it's not a very fair comparison!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 25, 2012 Sep 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rijackson741 wrote:

When I do that it does not replace the embedded image with a new embedded image though, it replaces the embedded image with a linked image. So "relink" is a misnomer (something cannot be relinked when it was not linked in the first place), and what it does with an embedded image is kind of dangerous, because the AI file is no longer independent of other files.

Yes it does replace one embedded image with another embedded image of your choice.... if you remember to "uncheck" Link in the open dialog window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2012 Sep 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, yes! I didn't even notice that, because it's grayed out until you actually select an image file. Thanks. That will make replacing an image with the new saved one much easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I specifically said the image was embedded, not linked. You can't relink an embedded image, because it's not linked in the first place. If it was linked then there is an external file with the image in it, and all you would need to do would be to edit that, then update the link. No need for copy and paste.

Yes, I could have used copy and paste. Larry's suggestion achieves exactly the same thing though, and with multiple images is arguably less work. Either way you do it, you have to save the image, delete the image in AI, insert the new image, then align it correctly. That is an unnecessarily painful procedure.

The fact is, in an ancient version of CorelDraw (I'm sure this was possible at least from version 8) if you have an embedded image you can just right click, edit, and it launches Corel Photopaint, with the image. When you close the image in Photopaint it asks if you want to save the changes. If you say yes, you are back in CorelDraw, with the modified image. No copying, pasting, saving, deleting, inserting, aligning. I wasted a lot of time with this because I just couldn't believe that AI couldn't also do something like this. I figured I must be missing something. Unfortunately, it can't do it, and it's a major limitation. Perhaps even, as wazi9909 puts it, a "pathetic" limitation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines