• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flowchart / workflow tools

Participant ,
Apr 21, 2010 Apr 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been waiting with every new release for Flowchart / process flow tools in any of the Adobe programs.

I have tried building them in Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign and Fireworks but none of them seem to have connectors which stay 'connected' to the boxes when I move them!

Features needed:
- magnetic connectors (like freehand/omnigraffle)
- switch line style of the flowchart (direct, corners, bezier)
- draw bridges (halfcircles) where connection lines intersects for  better reading.
- ability to 'snap' connectors to any point around an object, not just its ancor points.

Nearest thing I can find is the 'line connector' in Fireworks, but again, if I move the box the connector doesn't go with it.

This is such a fundamental part of GUI design I can't believe it doesn't exist.

I've looked at non-Adobe programs like Visio, Omnigraffle, ConceptDraw and Mindmap etc etc but really want to make the most of the interactivity between the Adobe programs I already use.

Any help please?????????

Thanks

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say that flow charts art not a focus of Illustrator, I think a better application for you would be something like Canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator sitll doesn't provide connector tools. Just as it still doesn't provide dimension tools, a proper cutting tool, user-defined drawing scales, live shape primitives....

Just about any other drawing program provides connector tools. If you're on Windows, you might download OpenOffice.org (free) and use its Drawing module, which includes a full set of flowchart tools. If you must have it in Illustrator, you can copy/paste it to AI (but of course the connector lines will no longer be connector lines).

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 22, 2010 Apr 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your replies.

I agree Jet, I could do with those extra tools too. I think 'Hot Door' still do Illustrator plugins for CAD tools.

Anyone feel like creating a flow diagram plugin?? You'd make a mint!!

Thanks for the suggestions but I'm on a MAC

Sigh - back to ConceptDraw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Evidently, OpenOffice is also available for MacOS, both Intel and PPC. Go to OpenOffice.org. Click the link for other platforms.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You Legend!!

That's perfect - lets me import my own images, add multiple connectors and create style sheets so I can update all the images at one.

Also liking the image library (themes) which auto links to the original files - I can drag and drop and use a bit like Illustrator symbols.

Only thing missing is connector 'hops' for when they overlap other lines and the shadows are a bit primitive but I can work around that.

I think you have just saved me a massive amount of time, effort and money!

Thanks SO much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2016 Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2016... Any news ?
I think this kind of tool would be MASSIVELY USED so I really don't understand why it's not a focus of Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2016 Sep 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping that proper flow tools would have been introduced in Adobe Experience. I would be very happy if ANY of their programs had text-in-box that can have a stroke applied AND sticky connecting arrows. Jumps would be great with the connections but I could even live without that if we could just have the first two.

Has anyone found plug-ins for Illustrator or InDesign these simple flow diagram tools?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2016 May 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no intuitive flowchart options for Adobe CC? Im trying to stay in house if possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2016 May 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have any inside information, but I wouldn't expect dedicated flow chart functions in Illustrator any time soon.

There are plenty of very good tools already available for flow diagramming. There is no business case for Adobe to undertake the addition of an entire specialized tool set to an already-plump application, when the majority of its user base isn't interested, or has already adopted a different workflow for such things. Look at Illustrator's graphing features; do you think they compete well with spreadsheet apps or dedicated graphic solutions? The only reason for Adobe to add a feature set to enable something Illustrator currently doesn't do at all would be to attract new market share, but there just isn't the headroom to add a complete and competitive set of tools.

Microsoft Office And Open Office already do flow charts quite well. Even the free yEd - Graph Editor would be a stout competitor to Illustrator flow charts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2016 Dec 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree that OpenOffice and Microsoft Office are a good alternative, as one may want to make much more appealing nodes and lines and may need all the advanced features of a good vector drawing application. And by the way, Inkscape has flow chart tools and they're very useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lucid Charts is really helpful and you can use some of the functions for free!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most frustrating thing is that I found the perfect flowchart maker in MUSE but there is NO WAY to export it.  I spent an hour with support and they had no clue what I wanted.

ADOBE, are you listening to us.

I have a 100 page website that I need to organize before I even begin to design. I have been doing this for 18 years and have my workflow so I don't want to be forced into MUSE, but I do want this feature.

We all pay you monthly, please deliver, as we designer must deliver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I 100% agree that this is a miss on Adobe's part. Flowcharting, Journey mapping, mind mapping are integral to the design process for UX/UI work. Often times UX Designers need to undertake some of these information architecture responsibilities on their own before they can get started mockup up screens. It makes perfect sense for Adobe to include an app purpose built for this in CC. Give it team collaboration features for bonus points!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe You would immediately gain the product loyalty of designers who have to go outside and use other applications.. who also give Adobe a bad grade when they have to complain about why they create everything in Adobe except things that need connectors. Just saying, connectors are not a huge programmatic deal, even if it comes in rough with drag handles and user chosen end points.. just do it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

richhone0069  schrieb

Adobe You would immediately gain the product loyalty of designers who have to go outside and use other applications.. who also give Adobe a bad grade when they have to complain about why they create everything in Adobe except things that need connectors. Just saying, connectors are not a huge programmatic deal, even if it comes in rough with drag handles and user chosen end points.. just do it

Please post this here or add your vote (in case it alredy exists):

http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I worked my way through college producing hand drawn flow charts and simple diagrams - ink on vellum and frosted mylar with bits of phototypeset and PMTs. Makes me laugh just thinking about it. I was so thankful to switch to Illustrator 1.0 - on a Mac. That little screen was so ridiculously small - but it made diagramming so easy. I could convert complex illustrations with callouts (btw, back then Illustrator had magnetic connectors and jumpers). I was so disappointed that Illustrator lost many of those diagramming features in later revs.

Career wise, I've long since moved on, but I still have to produce flowcharts. Today I use OpenOffice - but it's a cumbersome tool. And other software - can't export images, or if you can you have to convert the image or resize it then export it again so that you can copy and paste into In-design for publishing.

Adobe should think of workflows, not just markets. Adding flowchart functions could have a huge positive impact on productivity. Better productivity enhances value (both perceived and actual) of a software family.

Example - Microsoft: why keep "Notepad" then add "OneNote" when you already have "Word"? The last product penetration report shows that all three are on the list of "primary drivers" when existing customers ask "why did you chose Word over other wp products." There ARE better wp products out there - but none of them have "Notepad" "OneNote" and a handy "Excel" spreadsheet crossover. Want to talk about individual Word/Excel functions that they COULD have left to other software? Workflow is gold in the kingdom of Productivity.

Add native flowchart capabilities. Seriously. And I'll be a Adobe CC customer for the rest of my mortal life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the Best Tools for Creating Flowcharts which I know are

1- Gliffy

2- LucidChart

3- YED

4- Creately

5- Draw.Io

Source:- https://merabheja.com/best-free-tools-for-creating-flowcharts/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have added this as a feature request just now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what on earth does this email mean?

I was looking for some flowchart templates on the web.

If you don’t provide these please remove me from the list.

Thanks

www.loisreed.com <https://www.loisreed.com/>

info@loisreed.com

office: (386) 402-4196

mobile: (386) 690-1747

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no 'list' as such. You subscribed youself to this thread when you replied to it. You can change this in your account preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for adding it to the request list.

This needs more visibility!

Flow chart connectors – Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So about this plug in, let's designer it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines