• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Forced Line Break vs Normal Paragraph Return

Participant ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just Vote if you know the difference please.

Illustrator 2018 changed what  text is selected with multiple clicks or command/Arrow keys.

A forced line break is now ignored.

That is the only line break that Illustrator supports in a Search/Replace function.

And now, that formatting character is ignored when triple clicking or Command/Down arrow.

Adobe claims this was is a design request to ignore forced line breaks when selecting text.

A change of behavior in a program, that is not requested or documented would normally be called a BUG.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just responding here because, although I'm not sure what response you're requesting, I'm personally pleased with the change. I do agree, in previous versions, a triple click selected only the portion of the paragraph within the paragraph character and line break character, and now the triple click selects all the way between the paragraph characters.

Personally, I prefer this method. When I use a forced line break, I really do intend for that paragraph to be considered a single paragraph, so prefer to have that whole paragraph selected easily. For me, this is a new feature, not a bug.

Curious about the opinions of others on this.

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I understand how this would help for those who use a forced line break as it is intended.

It is made awkward with Illustrator's Find/Replace having a shortcut for a Forced Line Break and responds to ^n, but not ^p a more often used Paragraph return.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use Shift + Return, I expect it to be (and behave as) one paragraph, as it does in all the other programs I have used in a quarter of a century.

Engraver, you can put in a feature request to have an option in Preferences to change this behavior so that the choice for how this works can be made either way, making us all happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks!

Other programs have four, five.. click options to select more of the full text/paragraph.  Not sure why  Illustrator's code only is up to three clicks.   Not sure why Illustrator can't search for a more often used paragraph return, ^p and can search for a forced line break, ^n.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines