• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gradient tool not working with Livepaint (?)

Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2018 Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if it is a bug or if I did something wrong.

I used to be able to change the direction of a gradient in a Livepaint object with ease in the 2018 version...

but somehow, the 2019 version just doesn't work:

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

I always end up getting a colour block.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes, another thing: When changing a gradient in a Livepaint object, the stroke weight always goes back to 0.5pt.

This happens in all versions of Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi i have checked at my side there is no such issue for me in illustrator 2019 for latest update also try to update your graphics driver and reset your preferences hope all be good to go....Thanks.

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. Both my Intel & Radeon graphic drivers are up to date.

And my Illustrator is version 23.0.1.

This is odd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then try to reset preferences

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mcmxcii_cc  wrote

Oh yes, another thing: When changing a gradient in a Livepaint object, the stroke weight always goes back to 0.5pt.

This happens in all versions of Illustrator.

You can avoid that by selecting only the area with the Gradient with the Live Paint Selection Tool (Shift L)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, frustrating, and hopefully it will be fixed soon. In the meantime, if you select the gradient with the Live Paint Selection Tool, you can then edit the gradient direction with the gradient editor - either the direction using the degrees or the colors, using the stoppers. Not a great solution, but a work around in the meantime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately that workaround will quickly give some unexpected results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"You can avoid that by selecting only the area with the Gradient with the Live Paint Selection Tool (Shift L)"

Thanks for the tip.

Yes, the Live Paint-Gradient issue definitely has a bug 'cos I have no problem

performing the same action on a non-Live Paint object in the 2019 version of Illustrator:

Capture.JPG

As mentioned, the above does not happen with the 2018 version of Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, have just voted for both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right, I get very strange results when trying to change the direction of a gradient in a Live Paint Group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See also this post with links to Illustrator User Voice where it has been mentioned as a bug:

Gradient angle / live paint selection tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.  Is there a solution yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There has been no further information from Adobe. If you vote on the two issues that Ton posted, you will be appraised of any updates to their status via email.

They have gathered very low vote tallies though, so it might be a very long wait.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing I do and it seems to work with me.  Is I always expand my lines before converting the image to Live Paint. 

I never have any issues after doing this.  I know other people might think it is strange that I do this.  But I got into the habit of doing this as I like to illustrate characters in Adobe Illustrator.  And sometimes other hiccups would arise.  So I finally found out that if I expand all my lines then I have no issues with Live Paint.

Give it a try and let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KShinabery212  wrote

One thing I do and it seems to work with me.  Is I always expand my lines before converting the image to Live Paint. 

I never have any issues after doing this.  I

You will probably have a hard time adjusting the strokes shape and size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi.  Thanks for your replies.  It actually did help to expand the lines.  I tested on an illustration created before the Illustrator update 23.0.1, and expanded the illustration after Live Paint was created. Then I was able to use the gradient tool - in a more effective way than before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines