Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gradient transparency in clipping mask?

Engaged ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I have a graphic that I need to recreate. It's sound waves with a colored gradient from left to right (attached).

image001.png

In my mind, I was going to do this by first creating a line shape with gradient fill, black with slight transparency on the top and bottom of each line, duplicate and resize, group that, put it over a rectangle with a gradient using the colors in the image I attached, create clipping mask.

Clipping mask gets rid of transparency so that doesn't work. It's just solid. I need that feathering at the ends of those lines.

Do it manually using the eye dropper to pick the colors and copy/paste a few dozen times?

Any tips from you masters of Illustrator are very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

tallscot,

As I (mis)understand it, you may use Opacity Mask.

An Opacity Mask can do as a Clipping Mask, and the opposite, and anything in between. And unlike a Clipping Mask it is all about appearance, hence often easier to work with when both kinds might be used.

You use the black as fully transparent and white as fully solid, or the reverse, and greys for different levels of transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tallscot,

As I (mis)understand it, you may use Opacity Mask.

An Opacity Mask can do as a Clipping Mask, and the opposite, and anything in between. And unlike a Clipping Mask it is all about appearance, hence often easier to work with when both kinds might be used.

You use the black as fully transparent and white as fully solid, or the reverse, and greys for different levels of transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I ended up doing this manually in 10 minutes. It probably would have taken me longer to figure out how to do it "the right way". Ha!

Thanks!sound wave graphic.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome, tallscot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines