Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Grid pattern fill squares different colors to create artwork

Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

i would like to autogenerate a grid (rectangular grid tool maybe?) with about 20x20 squares and then use the grid as a template to create artwork, kind of like a checkerboard. i would like to be able to fill each square with different colors and then delete the grid to be left with just the squares of color. is this possible? 

thank you for your support!

m

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

You can create a rectangle of 200 X 200

Select Object > Path > Split Into Grid and use 20 horizontal Rows and 20 vertical Columns and start coloring

Votes

Translate

Translate

Option-click the rectangular grid tool.

MikeGondek_0-1649105048253.png

Use Pathfinder Palette >> Divide

You can use the random fill script if you like.

MikeGondek_0-1649105716263.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

If you want to do this procedure multiple times you can make either Ton or Mike's procedure into an action (Window menu > Actions opens the panel) that can produce the desired grid quickly. With the grid selected, click inside it with the Live Paint Bucket Tool to color a square and establish a Live Paint Group. You may want to have the Swatches panel open to quickly select colors as you proceed. When you are finished coloring, go to Object menu > Live Paint > Expand, then ungroup. Select the re

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

The Paint Bucket can also color strokes. Just double click the Paint Bucket in the Tools panel for options.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create a rectangle of 200 X 200

Select Object > Path > Split Into Grid and use 20 horizontal Rows and 20 vertical Columns and start coloring

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you!!!! 😄 

lifesaver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Option-click the rectangular grid tool.

MikeGondek_0-1649105048253.png

Use Pathfinder Palette >> Divide

You can use the random fill script if you like.

MikeGondek_0-1649105716263.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you!!!

always appreciative of this support!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so, using your suggestion i've got a grid. i used ton's way as well.

in either case, i'd like to now try to create outlined boxes, so instead of fill different boxes, only have some outlined with a stroke. so i have this pattern but id like to try it with each square only outlined, not filled. (attached)

paint bucket is a fill and so i think it can only be used in this way.

and the grid doesnt seem to let me select each square.

any ideas?

ya'll are amazing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so, using your suggestion i've got a grid. i used ton's way as well.

in either case, i'd like to now try to create outlined boxes, so instead of fill different boxes, only have some outlined with a stroke. so i have this pattern but id like to try it with each square only outlined, not filled. (attached)

paint bucket is a fill and so i think it can only be used in this way.

and the grid doesnt seem to let me select each square.

any ideas?

ya'll are amazing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Paint Bucket can also color strokes. Just double click the Paint Bucket in the Tools panel for options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to do this procedure multiple times you can make either Ton or Mike's procedure into an action (Window menu > Actions opens the panel) that can produce the desired grid quickly. With the grid selected, click inside it with the Live Paint Bucket Tool to color a square and establish a Live Paint Group. You may want to have the Swatches panel open to quickly select colors as you proceed. When you are finished coloring, go to Object menu > Live Paint > Expand, then ungroup. Select the remaining uncolored grid and delete.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great idea!!!

thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear you found the suggestions helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines