Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Half drop seamless pattern

Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2023 Aug 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am trying to make seamless pattern to apply on fabric and apparel. 

I followed an online tutorial showing how to proceed. So I created some keyboard shortcuts and made my pattern in a rectangle instead of a square. 

But when came the time to try if my pattern flowed seamlessly, with edges matching, I wasn't sure if I did everything right. 

I checked on photoshop by creating a square with my pattern included, it looked ok. Then I duplicated my tile square to see if the edges matched. It wasn't the case (see screenshot). Then, I used the rectangle from where I exported the patterns from Illustrator, and I duplicated it. Then everything matched properly, both horizontaly or verticaly. 

But about print on demande sites, if I want my pattern to apply seamlessly, should I use the square or the rectangle? 

You can see enclosed all the screenshot of my artwork.

Please, tell me if my artwork is suitable for printing on fabric and apparel and if it looks professional from the outside. 

Many thanks for your help! 🙂 

TOPICS
Draw and design , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Hi Monika,

Thanks for your reply. I just found the solution myself: the pattern defined on Photoshop was just a method to check if the half drop pattern (in rectangle) is all ok. For print on demand, I only need to upload the half drop pattern exported from AI. After applying it on mockups, everything looked perfectly fine. 

Thank you anyway  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are creating a square and then apply your pattern to it and then upload that to the service's website? The square needs to be a multiple of the width and height of your original pattern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

Thanks for your reply.

So at first I created the pattern in AI using a rectangle, then i exported it into Photoshop and I created a new document 12000x12000pixels. From there, I created the pattern.

What does it change to multiply the height and width? Because my problem is than the edges don't match if I duplicate the square..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if you double click your pattern in Illustrator then the swatches options panel will show up and tell you the Width and height.

What does it say?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Monika,

Thanks for your reply. I just found the solution myself: the pattern defined on Photoshop was just a method to check if the half drop pattern (in rectangle) is all ok. For print on demand, I only need to upload the half drop pattern exported from AI. After applying it on mockups, everything looked perfectly fine. 

Thank you anyway  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines