• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help - Combining two shapes into one keeps each shape outline.

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2024 Jun 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to combine two shapes to create one shape and apply a stroke to the outside of the new shape.

I have tried Unite, Merge, Shape Builder, and Expand then Unite. All of them result in the same thing.

The two shapes are touching, but do not overlap, and they have no stroke applied. When trying any of these methods, it keeps the shapes in tact (but essentially grouping them), so that when I add a stroke to what should be the new one shape, it does it around each one! I can change the fill color without a problem - it will fill the entire new shape. Applying a stroke is the issue. 

TOPICS
How-to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

What happens if you select the edge of one of the shapes using the Direct Selection tool and move that edge to slightly overlap the other shape and then apply the Unite Pathfinder?Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 5.46.25 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Also you could use 'Object - path - Average' (alt+ctrl+J (on win)) to make sure the points butt.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the Shape Builder tool? (Shift M)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, as I mentioned, it did not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show how this looks in the layers panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached. I also tried separating the shapes into two layers. The result is the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you zoom in real close: is there really no gap between those shapes?

Also: in the shapebuilder tool: is the gap detection turned on?

In Pathfinder: how are the options set up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zoomed to 3200%, yes, a very slim gap.

Thank you for pointing out the "gap detection." I tested that on two other shapes and it worked. However, with the two I shared, it will NOT make it one shape. It actually keeps them as two objects - they won't combine at all. Not sure why. I tried changing the gap length (small, medium, large) - they will not combine into one shape.

Shape Builder and Pathfinder option screenshots attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When there is a slim gap, then with the shapebuilder tool you have to carefully drag across, so that the gap is highlighted as well. Only then it will be combined.

What you can do with a shape like that:

Group the shapes

Apply Effect > Path > Offset path (with a value that closes the gap)

Apply Effect > Pathfinder > Add

Apply Effect > Path > Offset path (same value as in the beginnen, but negative)

Expand appearance

You can save the effects as a graphic style for later use, so that in the future you just need to group, apply the graphic style and expand appearance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you select the edge of one of the shapes using the Direct Selection tool and move that edge to slightly overlap the other shape and then apply the Unite Pathfinder?Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 5.46.25 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked. However, that would make this quite a tedious process since I am using a map with a lot of county shapes! There must be a way to combine multiples without having to slightly overlap any of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try Live Paint? Beware that it will separate strokes and fills after expanding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried Live Paint. Result is the same. Adding a stroke still detects individual shapes rather than the one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found that if you work in the Outline mode (View>Outline) and visually make the two shapes butt perfectly then the Unite Pathfinder will still work. Working in outline eliminates the line widths so you can see the exact "butting point" clearly and adjust until you see just one line. However, it still requires that there is a common edge that has the same approximate length and angle. Otherwise my original suggestion would still be necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also you could use 'Object - path - Average' (alt+ctrl+J (on win)) to make sure the points butt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines