• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! Trouble printing from Illustrator CC - jagged lines around edges and faded black/gray colour of text

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2019 Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help!

So what im using

Adobe Illustrator CC most up to date version onto 300gsm card or normal plain paper. Printing on Canon Pixma IX8650 in CYMK profile. If you need more information please let me know.

Ive trawled the internet for hours looking for a solution but can't find anything.

Problems

1) the blacks are not the rich black colour they are supposed to be

2) The lines around the edges of the letters rather than smooth as seen in the photo I've attached. below

Now firstly when trying to make the colours rich black I have changed the settings several times in preferences to make it rich black, ive changed the colour profiles too a few times to try to see if it makes any difference, to no avail. Ive also tried a mix of black and CYMK 60-40-40-100 but still not a deep rich colour im looking for very little changed as i've seen printed on other peoples work online.

For the second issue i'm having. I'm unsure if its to do with the printer or how i'm attempting to print my work. when Ive exported my vector as a pdf or Tiff or PNG I get a reduced jagged lines but still some there and also the prayer colour rather than black.

Im unsure if it is to do with the original source export and the quality of that but I don't know when I export the vector it appears very blurred even when im selecting different options such as: high quality or anti aliasing etc//

So I'm unsure whether it is the printer or the exporting that is causing the issue. If you could help that would be amazing, I have a small business selling prints and cards and this has really work flow at the moment.

Also when I send work off to the printers for a product it comes back perfect, I send as pdf online.

Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show a photo of the print. You need to upload it via the web interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Printing on plain paper or regular card stock can drink the ink from and inkjet printer and mute the colors. Try printing on a more expensive coated gloss or matte stock and see if that generates the results you expect. If you have smaller runs and it does not validate sending the job to a print bureau for offset printing perhaps you could try a color laser printer @ a local office supply store. That would generate better results than trying to print on a thick uncoated stock in an inkjet printer. The jagged lines you are experiencing could be from dot gain. This could look like a fringing or a blurry halo. The ink is not drying fast enough and spreading throughout the paper. Also on my printer I notice density changes in the version of black I am running (matte or gloss black) depending on what stock I am printing. I hope this helps some!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reply, Do you mean like photo paper? Could you link an example of the paper you're suggesting I try on? If you look at the photos I might be getting dot gain like you're suggesting? How can I avoid this, I have the printer set to printing the slowest to give its best change of drying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It really looks like you are scaling while printing. And scaling up at that. Are you starting with a small image, blowing it up to a certain size in printing? Try scaling your image inside of illustrator to a size as large or larger than the size you want to print it and go from there. Bet it will make a huge difference

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to print A4 and A5, I am vectoring on A4 and A5 sized artboards as well so shouldn't have any scaling? But I don't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the moment I don't want to rule out the possiblity that this is not jaggedness at all, but a result of screening.

So can we please see a photo?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay sorry for delayed response, so I'm attaching my vector which I print from in Illustrator, then a photo of the print and a more zoomed in of the print. Sorry lots of shadows so photos aren't amazing.

Does this help?

IMG_6434.jpgIMG_6433.jpgUntitled-3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I literally work in a print shop. I know Illustrator pretty well, I use it as my main program, meaning I use it for 8-12 hours a day. I have been printing for over a year and never ran into this problem until now. It is baffeling. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

I ran into a similar (if not the same) issue a while back and posted about it in a different thread. Here was the last thing I posted and ultimately what solved my problem. I hope it helps!

"UPDATE: ISSUE FIXED

Canon finally got back to me and recommended I install a Postscript RIP software if I wanted to print directly from Illustrator. I found one here: https://solutionsforscreenprinters.com/printfab/ and installed it. The process was surprisingly simple and straight forward. It completely solved my problem!

The prints are coming out clean and clear with no jagged edges. The software was an added expense, but it's for my business, so I just went with it, and I'm so glad I did. I spent days and hours trying to resolve this, and installing that software cleared everything up. If you're having similar issues, I highly recommend either using that software or finding a similar software. The PrintFab site has really easy to understand instructions as well as instructional videos, so if that's important, maybe go with them. Thank you all for your help!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What size is your actual vector image? It does look like it's pixelating/softening due to being scaled up to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unsure how to check actual size of vector image sorry. In presume you mean in pixels?

And when I've sent to printers from the same source and export, it doesn't have this jagged outline but is smooth. which is what I don't understand, is my printer scaling my image perhaps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't get a better quality photo?

This still looks like screening to me.

Especially since you say that it doesn't happen on other printers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you click on the photos they should be clear enough? The blurred edges are as they are in real life. Im not aware of what screening is, could you elaborate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Halftone screening:

Conventional Screening

The strange thing is that it happens more often because people have better printers these days. Printers that support PostScript.

If this is the effect of screening, then it happens because you either print

- black that is less than 100%

- muddy black

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

I would like to know if the steps suggested above worked for you, or the issue still persists.

Kindly update the discussion if you need further assistance with it.

Thanks,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It really does not look like screening to me. The images show that typical edge of a lower resolution image pixelation with a bit of softness from the image being stretched.

If you want to know how large your image in inside of Illustrator you can click on View > Rulers > Show Rulers

then in the little square in the upper left corner where the horizontal and vertical ruler meet, you can right click in there and set it to inches, or pixels or whatever you are comfortable with.

If zero on the rulers does not align with the edge f your artboard, double-click in that little square and it will re-zero the rulers. Now you can just check at the other end of the ruler to see how large your art board is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks to everyone for their help so far!

If it is screening or if it is scaling I am unsure how to solve the issue. I haven’t manage to fix the problem yet I tried scaling down the image last night and it stayed blurred and jagged on the edges. the issue I have with it being scaling is If I print the same image I sent to the printers it still comes up with the blurred and pixelated edges. So I don’t understand how they would get a crisp smooth edge and I would not. Which makes me think it is the printer. thoughts?

Also how do i fix screening/ know when I’m printing black that not 100% black. Sorry so many questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The photo is not good enough to tell.

You will need to ask the printer manufacturer if you can't tell yourself. Or get a local expert to look at your print and your printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

size of image is 140x210mm standard A4, I'm printing in A4 too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What resolution is the Printers Output profile set to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Were you able to figure out a solution to this? I'm experiencing the same issue with both my large format Canon printer and small format Epson printer. Printing from Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat all produce the exact same thing you're seeing around the edges of your graphics - jagged edges.

Let me know if you were able to figure anything out. I've been searching all over the internet to no avail. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines