• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hex Codes Changing in Adobe Illustrator v27.0

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using hex codes for specific colors in Illustrator v27.0. When I set the hex code for the color of an object, click away and then click back on the object, I find the hex code has changed to another number. The color stays more or less the same to my eye, so I'm not hugely concerned about that aside from issues of consistency across documents/sharing with other users. I would appreciate an answer if anyone has one, though!

When I go to export one specific document from .pdf or .ai to .jpg, however, one object (a grouping of outlined text) changes from a cream color (#F3ECE0) to gray. This object was doing this before I upgraded to v27.0, and it is continuing to do so now.

I'm working in CMYK, and my colors are #721924 ("Cranberry"), #F3ECE0 ("Cream"), #1D2049 ("Deep Plum") and #E78A1E ("Push Pop") - color names here were chosen by the designer.

Before Exporting (.pdf file):

Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 8.31.52 PM.png

After exporting to .jpg:Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 8.34.21 PM.png

Any ideas? You can see the text below has not changed color, it's not outlined. None of the other objects have changed color completely though, so what gives?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Hex codes are RGB colors. In a CMYK document they get converted to a possible CMYK equivalent and that CMYK color gets converted to the equivalent RGB color. Don't expect entering hex codes in a CMYK document to stay the same.

Use CMYK values in a CMYK document.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Glad that helped.

Here is more about Color in Illustrator:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/color.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<moved from using the community >

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hex codes are RGB colors. In a CMYK document they get converted to a possible CMYK equivalent and that CMYK color gets converted to the equivalent RGB color. Don't expect entering hex codes in a CMYK document to stay the same.

Use CMYK values in a CMYK document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ton!

I had wondered if that was the issue, but wasn't familiar with the difference between hex codes for RGB and CMYK values. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad that helped.

Here is more about Color in Illustrator:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/color.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As far as why the colour is changing on just that one block of type on your export to JPG, make sure there's no Transparency Effect of any sort applied to it. Also: even though you are working in CMYK, if your intention for the JPGs is for online use, make sure you selected RGB as the colour space on Export. CMYK JPGs can do weird things when used in other programs and browsers.

If you like, upload your pdf and your ai for us to poke at.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines