Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HEX Colors change when saving out a vector .svg in AI

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moderator moved from Adobe Creative Cloud to Illustrator.]

When I save out a vector shape file in AI as a .svg file, the HEX color changes when I reopen the file. Its not a big change but enough that its not matching the correct allocated HEX color. Why is Illustrator not maintaining the correct color? Additionally, when I share the .svg with the dev's on the team they also get a different color when they open the file. How can I make sure the correct selected HEX color is locked and doesn't change? I have tried every trick I can find online and nothing is working. Help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it perhaps a document in CMYK mode?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have alwas the same issue. Whart I do is I'm correcting manually all the hex color codes in outputed svg file, but this is a nightmare. Things are getting complicated when there is a gradient applied.

This the only way I was able to fix this issue. 

Switching between RGB and CMYK is not helping at all.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You cannot use HEX codes in a CMYK document. Hex codes are RGB colour values. Even if you enter one, if your document is CMYK, the colour will be converted to the closest possible CMYK colour, which will then return a new RGB (Hex) value which is the closest to reproduce that CMYK colour on the screen... all based on your color management settings. Even if you originally started your document in RGB mode, if at any point you switched it to CMYK and then back to RGB, your colours will have changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File >> Document Color  Mode >> RGB

After that enter your hex color and it will stick, even when saving to svg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines