• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hide overset text icon?? (red plus box)

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Illustrator for a long time (decades), but have something that I've never been able to figure out and need an option. How do you hide the overset text icon (red plus box), and/or anything that is an on-screen, in-app visual cue? I've tried looking it up online and all I can find is explanation of what it is. I know what it is and why it's there, but if I want to hide it so that I can take a screenshot for a proof, etc., I've found nothing. Only way would be to do the screen shot - take it into photoshop, remove the OTI, and then it's good - but that's a cumbersome extra step. I feel like there has got to be somethign that does this. I find it hard to believe that there is no way in an app this size to show a preview, unencumbered by monitor cues. It seems to me that it should be in Type>Show/Hide Hidden Characters, but nope - that doesn't do it. Does anyone know where/how I can do this?

Thanks!

Ben

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

First, select the box containing type. In the main overhead menu, select Type, then, Area Type Options. When the attributes box pops up, select Auto Size at bottom left above the Preview box (presumably already checked). 

When you get back to the text box in you doc, it will be blue...Use the Type cursor to select the area with below your text, and delete. When you check off the box with the arrow select tool, the red box, (and/or white box at the beginning), will be gone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know you can't hide it/turn it off. But you can, for example, put a white rectangle over it if the background is white, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh - weird. I feel like I would have tried that before, but I guess not. I guess I figured that since it is a visual cue and not actual content, it could not be covered and would still show up over top of all the artwork. I guess not. Cool, well this helps. Hopefully they will fix this soon, and make it hideable (Are you listening, Adobe?), but in the meantime, this will at least help for what I need - thanks much!

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do a feature request here:

Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that it's not hideable because the assumption is that if you have overset text, you will always want to know, so you can expand your text box to make the text not be overset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could select the text object and Type > Create Outlines. After taking the screen capture, undo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, This is a bit late but I just ran into the same issue. The red plus box means you have overflowing text in the box. i.e. text that isnt visible. To remove this place you Text cursor at the last visible character and then clear (delete) all the text to the right. Once there's no overflow there will be no red box. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First, select the box containing type. In the main overhead menu, select Type, then, Area Type Options. When the attributes box pops up, select Auto Size at bottom left above the Preview box (presumably already checked). 

When you get back to the text box in you doc, it will be blue...Use the Type cursor to select the area with below your text, and delete. When you check off the box with the arrow select tool, the red box, (and/or white box at the beginning), will be gone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines